Bricked my 3G - What to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dgstan, Jul 8, 2010.

1. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I've got a new iPhone 4 and had decided to re-purpose my JB 3G into a glorified iPod Touch. After seeing the post about creating a micro-SIM adapter, I thought it might be nice to be able to use the 3G as a backup phone.

Anyhow, I made the adapter and it worked fine, but then (being the idiot that I am) I decided to mess around some more. I managed to damage the internal SIM contacts, which is no big deal, since I'm OK with using it as a Touch. However, while opening it up to survey the damage, I screwed up the one of the display connectors.

There's 3 connectors that connect the two halves of the device. Connector 3 is a small ribbon cable that looks to be part of the "Home" button interface. I pulled the ribbon out of the connector, but for the life of me, I can't get it back in. It looks like it should just push right back in. There doesn't seem to be any latch to crimp it down with.

Question #1: Is anyone familiar with that cable/connector and how it connects?

Question #2: Let's say the connector and/or the ribbon cable is damaged. Would it be worthwhile to try and have it repaired? I see a place like Milliamp.com (http://www.milliamp.com/iphone-3g-repairs.html) will diagnose and give you a repair cost for $19. Has anyone used them or know of a better place?

My last resort is the place that's giving away the free bumpers will pay you for your broken iPhone. $50, but I wonder if my unit is too f'ed up for them to want it. http://www.repairmyiphonescreen.com/products/iphone-buy-out-program

2. HynnaD macrumors newbie

Ribbon cable 3 just goes inside the little white box and you clamp the black bit down to secure it:
    [​IMG]

3. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

misinterperted the title of this thread, when an iPhone is bricked it means that it has the connect to itunes screen, i thought you needed help unbricking your phone.. suggestion to change topic

4. dgstan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I was able to slide the ribbon in further, but the home button still doesn't function. I sent a query to Miliamp to see if it's salvageable (or economically sensible to do so).

Thanks Again.