Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
London, UK
So, i backedup my phone and used APTBCKUP (or whatever its called)

I downloaded Pwnagetool 4.1 (upgrading from 4.0.1) - my baseband is 1.59 (or something like that)

Everything went smoothly until i entered DFU mode. The iPhone screen is blank with no response. Wen plugged into iTunes it makes no sound or anything. However it shows in Itunes. I go about selecting the custom IPSW and extracts it but gets stuck on VERIFYING WITH ITUNES/APPLE and pops up with the following message:

iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Do you have shsh saved for the version you are trying to restore? If yes you need to set up tinyunbrella to emulate apples server. If no you must go to latest 4.2.1.

g33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
London, UK
im pretty sure my SHSHs are stored as it says at the top of cydia on loading up.

4.2.1 has no unlock available though?....need the unlock

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
so if you have shsh saved just use TU and reinstall 4.1 you can even still preserve 1.59 baseband which I would recommend since so many have had issues with the Ipad baseband. if you install 4.2.1 then you can not unlock. :(

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Fairly sure the iPad baseband does not apply to iPhone 4 or even the 3G and lower. Different hardware etc.

There probably is a way to use 4.2.1 and not update the baseband, but I haven't done the research on iPhone 4.

With the shsh available you have the choice and more options available to you which is nice, time to go do some reading.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
there is a couple people that have said you can but again I am yet to find a reliable source. main reason I say stick with 4.1. I have a I4 but yet till upgrade till it's untethered latest word is Christmas Eve. :D

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Why do people who claim they 'need the unlock' screw around with a working, unlocked phone? :confused:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
really really hard to Brick it unless dropped from a good height. oh dropped in toilet etc. and I agree if one needs a unlock they should be etc careful. ;) worst case for TS is they will have to wait for a new unlock but bricking no. and again back to post #2

Last edited:

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Honestly I am fairly impressed with the whole restore and almost being impossible to hurt the phones through software problems. Now if ATT would just unlock off contract phones like they should be doing we would be so damn happy.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
^ 1+++++++ on that at least out of contract or paid devices. honestly you should be able to get a smart phone unlocked if you are traveling. even if you quit ATT on returning you still have to pay ETF fees so there not going to get hurt. oh well we can only dream any way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.