Bricked my iPhone 4 ?!?! HELP!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by g33, Dec 18, 2010.

1. g33 macrumors 6502

So, i backedup my phone and used APTBCKUP (or whatever its called)

I downloaded Pwnagetool 4.1 (upgrading from 4.0.1) - my baseband is 1.59 (or something like that)

Everything went smoothly until i entered DFU mode. The iPhone screen is blank with no response. Wen plugged into iTunes it makes no sound or anything. However it shows in Itunes. I go about selecting the custom IPSW and extracts it but gets stuck on VERIFYING WITH ITUNES/APPLE and pops up with the following message:

iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Do you have shsh saved for the version you are trying to restore? If yes you need to set up tinyunbrella to emulate apples server. If no you must go to latest 4.2.1.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not bricked.
    Follow what the poster said above.

4. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

im pretty sure my SHSHs are stored as it says at the top of cydia on loading up.

4.2.1 has no unlock available though?....need the unlock

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

so if you have shsh saved just use TU and reinstall 4.1 you can even still preserve 1.59 baseband which I would recommend since so many have had issues with the Ipad baseband. if you install 4.2.1 then you can not unlock. :(

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Fairly sure the iPad baseband does not apply to iPhone 4 or even the 3G and lower. Different hardware etc.

There probably is a way to use 4.2.1 and not update the baseband, but I haven't done the research on iPhone 4.

With the shsh available you have the choice and more options available to you which is nice, time to go do some reading.

7. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

there is a couple people that have said you can but again I am yet to find a reliable source. main reason I say stick with 4.1. I have a I4 but yet till upgrade till it's untethered latest word is Christmas Eve. :D

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Why do people who claim they 'need the unlock' screw around with a working, unlocked phone? :confused:

10. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

My biggest fear; the phone breaking, or bricking it.

11. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

It hasnt been done by even the most knowledgeable endusers.. ever.

12. labman, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

labman macrumors 604

labman

really really hard to Brick it unless dropped from a good height. oh dropped in toilet etc. and I agree if one needs a unlock they should be etc careful. ;) worst case for TS is they will have to wait for a new unlock but bricking no. and again back to post #2

13. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Honestly I am fairly impressed with the whole restore and almost being impossible to hurt the phones through software problems. Now if ATT would just unlock off contract phones like they should be doing we would be so damn happy.

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

^ 1+++++++ on that at least out of contract or paid devices. honestly you should be able to get a smart phone unlocked if you are traveling. even if you quit ATT on returning you still have to pay ETF fees so there not going to get hurt. oh well we can only dream any way.

15. arejaye macrumors newbie

I did this also and it worked.