Bricked My iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by speedemonV12, Sep 10, 2007.

1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

Im pretty sure that i bricked my iphone

I was using this guide here
    http://modmyiphone.com/wiki/index.ph...e_Modding_OS_X

and downloaded the restore package, and iNdependence, and hit the jailbreak button... it jailbreaked. Said jailbreak successfull, and then 10 seconds later it said some sort of an error.

I restarted my iphone. But it took 5 minutes for the phone to boot up. Once it did, everything runs really slow. like 1 min after i click on something, it pops up. So i connect to computer, open independence, and cant connect.

i open up iTunes, i get this error

iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "iPhone" because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000023).

please help me
    i did a clean restore before trying the hack, and i synced, so i have everything backed up but i cant connect.. what do i do ...

PLEASE!!!!

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

3. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

i open up iTunes, i get this error

iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "iPhone" because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000023).

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

yuck, I have not tried to hack my iPhone, and you may of just convinced me to never do it!
    :eek:

5. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

Hold the home and top button, for about 25 seconds until it says Connect to iTunes and then plug it in.

6. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Note that this isn't "bricking" your iphone. Your iphone still works, but obviously not properly. I highly suggest getting on #iphone and asking there.

7. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Press and hold the sleep and home buttons at the same time, untill the yellow triangle comes up. Then connect to itunes and you should be able to do a restore.

8. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Whats funny is i looked at hacktheiphone.com and was about to do what you did but i doubt i will now lol, but i think you should be able to hold the sleep and home button till the yellow triangle comes up and be able to restore it

9. projectle macrumors 6502

Yea, it is pretty damn hard to brick the iPhone...

Example.
    Load up the Terminal.
    enter "rm -Rf /"

Power off.
    Power on.

It will pop up with the Yellow triangle as there is no OS.
    It will allow you to restore it.

Brick means Broken and will never work again. It is dead as in DEAD and that's it.

10. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

in regards to holding the lock and home button
    that does not work... when i hold those two, it turns off, then apple logo comes up , then turns off, then apple logo comes up, then turns off, and just stays off no matter how long i hold it.

projectle, what does

rm -Rf /

do??

are we talking terminal on the iphone? or on the mac? i cant get anything on the iphone

11. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what did you do incase other's have a similar problem?

13. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

What'd you do?

14. yayaba macrumors 6502

He's just saying if you delete all the files off the iPhone, you can always still restore by holding the buttons down for 25 seconds.

15. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

AHAHA wow... are you Fu(k|ng kidding me... i ran rm -Rf / in my terminal in OS X

and i have root permissions... so now everything up to iSync in my applications folder is deleted completely.. WOW

im not pissed right now or anything....
    but anyways...
    to fix my iphone... i just connected it to my computer with the dock, instead of just the cord, and held down lock and home, and guess what ? it went into recovery mode. I was so happy....

for like 10 min..

till i realized that all apps up till iSync was deleted....

16. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    No sympathy here....

IMHO anyone who deliberately tinkers with the iPhone deserves whatever adverse results they get. This whole business of hacking a perfectly good device just leaves me cold. So someone deliberately interferes with the way the iPhone was designed and when things don't go right they complain? What's wrong with THIS picture?

17. linshiwen macrumors member

Wow. Just....wow. Please dont do Terminal commands if you dont know what they do. I mean, im a command line noob and all, but thats just some general advice Im throwing out there for everyone.

18. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I thought there is no way of bricking the iphone thru software hacks...
    You can always restore back

19. iMouse macrumors regular

rm -Rf / ?

A.) Please tell me you're kidding when you say that you opened terminal and typed in rm -Rf / on your Mac...

B.) If so, why the hell would you run as root anyway?!

I've had several successful attempts with several Jailbreak applications and my iPhone works perfectly fine. If you follow the directions CAREFULLY, it isn't hard...you can't screw up. By far, AppTapp (Installer.app) is the easiest way to mod the iPhone at the moment. Once you get Installer.app running on the iPhone, you can install the BSD Subsystem, a terminal app, and OpenSSH. Installing OpenSSH will allow you to modify whatever you want on the phone. Changing icons, sounds, ringtones, etc are as simple as using an FTP application. I highly recommend using Cyberduck as a free and easy way to modify the files inside your iPhone.

It is VERY difficult to "brick" the iPhone and the developers of these applications have released to the public what they believe are recoverable hacks. I'm sure that several hackers have bricked their phones messing with things such as the cellular radio. It is probably why you don't see much (if any) information on how to hack this section of the phone floating around the Internet for the public to see.

BTW, if you "brick" your iPhone in a Windows environment, I heard that opening a command prompt and typing rmdir /S /Q does a great job of recovering one as well. ;)

20. corinne macrumors newbie

i know this is a very belated reply but i tried to jail break my iphone 3G, stuffed it up big time and when i tried to restore it i (got the "itunes could not connect to this iphone because of an unknown error" msg)
    It scared the crap out of me as i have only had my iphone for literally 3 days but in the end i tried this method and it ended up working

how to restore when you get the "itunes could not connect to this iphone because of an unknown error" msg

1. hold onto the on/off button for 3 seconds
    2.hold onto the homescreen button for 10 seconds without releasing the on/off button
    3. release the on/off button and continue to hold onto the home button for 25 seconds

this puts ur ipod into recovery mode and itunes will recognise it and restore it.

i think the reason i stuffed up the jaibreak was because i used a sim with a pin lock on it. either way i'm not trying again

21. Ayn macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I messed my iPhone up and all I could get was the Apple logo and then a black screen. After reading on the forums I realized that the iPhone didn't have an OS.

These 3 steps help perfectly. Thanks again. :)

22. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I'm so sick of hearing this term. You didn't "brick" your phone. Just restore it (using restore/DFU/etc). You'll be fine.

23. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

My thoughts exactly.

24. The General macrumors 601

This thread is from September 2007. Back then, it wasn't that simple. iTunes would refuse to restore a messed up phone sometimes.

25. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Holy cow, I didn't even notice that. My bad. Haha