Bricked? Ruined? Screwed?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by DamonPlz, Aug 23, 2010.

1. DamonPlz macrumors newbie

I recently jailbroken my friends Ipod Touch (32gig, 3gen, MC Model, 4.0) throughout the jailbreakme site.
    So apparently the dumbass decided to go to the general settings and Erase Contents and Settings due to the fact that he was too lazy to manually remove the music or so throughout his Itunes.

He calls me and said his Ipod is ****ed.

I tried seeing whats wrong:

It wont charge fully. It only charges enough for it to boot. Then it stops charging for some reason. (Tried wall charger as well)
    PC/Itunes doesnt recognize it (Tried on 2 PCs)
    When it boots it only shows the Apple Logo loading and freezes on the loading Cycling Symbol. (along with the jailbroken rigged line near the top)
    Cant put it in recovery or DFU mode. (Duno if you can do that with the recent models or firmware)

We even let it die completely but it still wont work.

He told me theres a One Year Warranty.
    Will apple be able to detect it was jailbroken? Will it Void his warranty if they detect that?

omg Im glad my touch is working fine :p <3

Any suggestions for him?
    Thanks!

2. celticpride678

Yes, Apple will be able to tell it's jailbroken. If the computer doesn't recognize it, there's some type of issue with the device other than the fact that he clicked erase settings and content.

For future reference, when you click that button, you will be forced to restore in iTunes, but since the device isn't recognized, I'm not sure what to do.

3. siwekcj macrumors newbie

yea i sortve have the same problem, i can only enter dfu mode or im stuck at the power cycle then to a split logo and repeat, but how can apple tell if my ipods broken if it wont even boot right? and is there anyway program to restore my ipod besides itunes?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Honestly, if it's that borked it can't hurt to make a Genius Bar appointment.

5. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

it wont recognise in dfu? what an idiotic friend.

6. Aero26 macrumors regular

My 1G iPod met a similar fate. It didn't make it. My Dock Connector had malfunctioned so it would charge with some USB's and it wouldn't with other. An Erase All Settings and Files left me with a connect to iTunes screen...an iPod that wasn't recognized, and the inability to charge past the power necessary to boot up. Apple Store was stumped. Gave me a new one. I had no warranty but it's just my luck, I knew nothing of jailbreak and I hadn't tampered with the software. Your friend probably won't be as fortunate...or Apple so generous.

7. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

8. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

I hope the OP is good buddies w/ the owner of the Touch. Apple will not fix or exchange a jailbroken unit, so who gets to pay for the replacement???? You play, you should be ready to pay.

I have seen absolutely nothing app or content-wise that would temp me to "jailbreak" a perfectly functional device. But that's just me. Good luck.....:D

9. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Won't do much for the flash memory in the Touch :(

10. youlookingatme macrumors newbie

Tell him to go to the Apple Store / Genius Bar and have them fix it.

11. travis32134 macrumors newbie

isnt it impossible to brick an ipod unless you physically break something?

12. Speczorz macrumors newbie

Not really 'physical' this is referring to the ios being bricked. Meaning that it is completely frozen, none the less. You can't do anything to fix it.... aka... it's bricked! :D

13. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Simple-ish fix for you

Press and hold the power and home button for 10 seconds, until the device shuts down. connect to a wall charger for about 15 mins until it has some charge.

Connect to PC or Mac via USB cable and run iTunes, it should detect an iPod in recovery mode.

If this doesn't work, then try shutting down the device whilst it is plugged into the computer, then try connecting it to iTunes again.

Shutting down the device in this manor, and with it having a defective OS should then cause it to enter recovery mode

You can always try entering DFU mode and trying a proper jailbreak system on your Mac or PC, this will force the OS onto the device and hopefully fix your problem

all else fails, Genius bar appt.

hope I was some help

:apple:Mike

14. Mari110 macrumors newbie

Same problem!

OMMMMGGGG!!!

i have the same problem with my itouch.

i've been searching through the deep oceans of the internets and have come up with NOTHING.

mine does the same thing and i have come to the conclusion that i must have messed with the IOS's registry system keys (when i removed something from cydia) and now it does exactly what your friend's ipod does.

I'm scared of taking it to the Genius bar cuz its out of warranty time, plus its jailbroken. and you can tell that the ipod was jailbroken cuz of the frozen boot up screen.

i have tried everything possible. the device wont go into DFU or Safe Mode or Recovery Mode. (i'm even tried it with Recboot program) NO LUCK!

ITS BRICKED! if you find a solution please let me know :/

15. iRosko macrumors newbie