Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I've read here several times that these phones are not being bricked and that people are overreacting... Well as of this morning, my IP4 is officially bricked. I JB with Limera1n a few days ago and now my phone will not turn on, will not charge, my macbook does not even recoznize the device so I can not restore, fml. Not a great sitUation!!:mad::mad:

Nobody has said that an iPhone cannot suffer hardware damage; what we have said is that no software jailbreak can brick your phone. It is entirely possible for certain hardware failures to result in irrecoverable error, as you have discovered. But such hardware failures, however temporally proximate to your jailbreak, are in no way causally linked to it. Your iPhone just broke, and would have done so whether you jailbroke or not.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well they won't be able to see if it's jb unless they boot up your device... So if they get your device up and running then that's a good thing lol

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Im going to just throw this out there, maybe you tried it, maybe not:
plug it in to ur computer, hold down sleep button AND home button at the same time for awhile (20 seconds). Then let go of sleep button but keep holding home button until your computer recognizes it in recovery mode. Then restore.

Ignore my post if you did this already or if somebody else mentioned it.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
^ if that post doesn't work, hold the home button and then put in your USB cable while holding the home button, after about 10 seconds, you should see the apple icon during the boot up, this may allow you to restore your phone if it recognizes. I had an issue where my 3GS got stuck in an indefinite loop, just went home, read a few websites, tried that method and it powered up after restoring. sucked that I lost everything that I couldn't back-up, but my phone was working again :)

Naethyn

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
Thats what Im hoping for... IF they find out its JB, they will not replace?

Its not that they won't replace it, it's how nice of a guy your Genius is.

The Apple Genius people will see that they can't turn it on, if they can't turn it on and your serial number on the back says its in warranty and its not water damage you will get a new phone.

If the Genius people see that they can turn it on using one of there nifty tools we aren't privy too, and then he runs it through a BehaviorScan then it will catch the fact that you used LimeRa1n, sometimes though when this happens the jailbreak isn't finished so its like it was when you first got it. This is where is depends on the guy LETS SAY IT GETS FLAGGED WITH BEHAVIORSCAN if the guy is nice enough, he will swap it out still and say that it was a hardware error. This happens at least 10 out of 25 percent of the time.

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
update: I pulled out my phone to try it out again and BAM, it turns on. Well not on but gave me the lightening bolt like it needed to be charged.... Battery was completely drained, what would cause this? I charged my phone all night long and had 100% battery right before it went off...
Seriously? All of this and your battery was dead?

bkingtu83

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
:D this thread has me dying laughing with these replies. the breakfast reply was priceless

but seriously, everyone has stated the facts already. no need to repeat

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
LA
jesus, did I really just read three posts before yours...all trying to help after the issue has been resolved two posts prior? :eek:

lol Yes, it resolved. I will still bring the phone in because it was definitely a hardware issue.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
lol Yes, it resolved. I will still bring the phone in because it was definitely a hardware issue.

No, dude, it was not a hardware problem. Your phone was in DFU mode and was kicked out if it when the battery ran out. When we told you earlier that you had a hardware problem we were assuming you knew enough to tell when your phone was stuck in DFU mode. Turns out it was not a hardware issue; it was an owner issue.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No, dude, it was not a hardware problem. Your phone was in DFU mode and was kicked out if it when the battery ran out. When we told you earlier that you had a hardware problem we were assuming you knew enough to tell when your phone was stuck in DFU mode. Turns out it was not a hardware issue; it was an owner issue.

We should work on releasing a "Owners Mod" on Cydia :D:D

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
The exact same thing happen to my phone. I charged it all night and used it the next day and all of sudden it went dead. I tried everything including troubleshooting with apple on the phone. They made me a gb appointment. I was calling the phone to get my phone messages and it would ring and go to voicemail. But at the end of the day it went straight to voicemail. Then all of a sudden I saw the red lighting. And when it charged enough it came on. I am not blaming the jailbreak for this but it is funny that this happen a couple of days after the latest jailbreak. I have an iphone 4 on 4.1 and i jailbroke with limerain. Just wondering if anyone else beside me and the op have experience this.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

iPhone-power said:
Another of many "I bricked my phone" threads which is a fail ! :rolleyes:

Yup, this one turned out exactly like all the others have over the years. Big surprise. :rolleyes:

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
If you can't turn it on (recovery or DFU mode), chances are Apple genius can't either. And, if it's a hardware failure, could happen with JB or not. It should be "Bricking is almost impossible..."

This is true, nobody credible on this forum has ever said it was "impossible", they just made it seem that way because too many people would makeup threads saying they bricked it, when in fact they just needed to DFU restart. However, even on 2-week old brand new iPhone4 hardware not JB, my phone all of a sudden turned off and wouldn't respond, like yours. So I took it in, and they replaced it since they saw no water damage and they couldn't turn it on either, they said it was probably due to a "power failure" inside. In any case, if you do happen to have a truly bricked phone, you're safe, because Apple can't tell if you JB or not, and it's the hardwares fault anyway, not the JBing.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Bricking is NOT 'not impossible'

update: I pulled out my phone to try it out again and BAM, it turns on. Well not on but gave me the lightening bolt like it needed to be charged.... Battery was completely drained, what would cause this? I charged my phone all night long and had 100% battery right before it went off...

Open mouth, insert foot. No doubt you've seen me say it numerous times but I'm pretty sure they almost always start with 'short of hardware failure'...

to1986

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
I've read here several times that these phones are not being bricked and that people are overreacting... Well as of this morning, my IP4 is officially bricked. I JB with Limera1n a few days ago and now my phone will not turn on, will not charge, my macbook does not even recoznize the device so I can not restore, fml. Not a great sitUation!!:mad::mad:

It is not bricked, just follow these steps and i am sure it wil start working. The same thing happened to my bro's ipod touch, and my grilfriend's iphone and i got both working doing the following:

1) Plug your iphone into the mains adapter, and leave it for an hour or so so that it is fully charged, you won't know of course, because it won't turn on, but just plug it in and leave it.

2) Once you have given it enough time you need to put your phone into recovery mode. So open itunes and plug your phone in.

3) hold the power button and home button TOGETHER for 10 secs.

4) after 10 secs release the power button and keep holding home button for a further 10 secs.

5) itunes will then recognise your device in recovery mode and ask you to restore.

Simple really, try it and let me know. the key is to let your iphone charge. if it isnt FULLY charged it won't respond, so leave it for enough time.

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009

^Winner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.