Bricking on beta

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gwhizkids, Jul 7, 2016.

1. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

We are always warned not to install a WatchOS beta on a primary device due to the possibility of bricking it and not being able to restore down to the current OS.

My question is this: has anyone really had this happen (or know first-hand of it happening)? Sure we've all heard the anecdotal stories of my friend's cousin's brother-in-law having it happen, but what I want to know is if really does happen first hand.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, you can search for posts by our own members right here on this forum who had their AWs bricked on the beta and had to send them out to be downgraded. I'd consider these posts first-hand experience rather than merely anecdotal.

3. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

It happened to me last summer. My watch was bricked trying to upgrade to watchOS 2. I got the red triangle of death. The problem however seems to be related to software updates as a whole, not just betas. The problem was I was halfway through updating to watchOS 2 and I accidentally closed the watch app on my phone. The watch had to be replaced entirely because it was bricked.

The biggest problem with the watch from a developers perspective is there is no available port for us to connect the watch to our computers. iPhone, iPad, ATV, iPhod Touch can all be connected to computer to do full restores and manually place the devices into DFU mode. This is not possible on the watch. So if I f**k up my phone then I can plug it into iTunes and fix it. Not possible with the watch.

In short, yes I myself have bricked my watch during a beta update. BUT, it is not necessarily due to the fact that I was upgrading to beta, any failed update could possibly brick the watch.

4. gwhizkids thread starter macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

Good enough for me. I'll wait for the public release. I realize it could still happen then, but I think it would be easier to convince Apple to fix/replace for a public release, than for a dev beta I'm not really supposed to be using.

5. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

Used to work at an Apple store, saw dozens of these come in last fall. Definitely an issue. Worse now with devices out of warranty.

6. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I have AppleCare so not an issue for me ATM. Out of curiosity would Apple charge to have an out of warranty watch repaired that had this issue?

7. Jerry Raia macrumors regular

Jerry Raia

You can brick anything with a release version too. I have installed every beta on every device I have ever had. Macbooks, iMacs, iPhones, watches (3 different ones) and never bricked any of them. I have rolled back a time or two because a beta was too problematic (never the watch of course). Anytime you update firmware there is a risk of bricking. Are betas more risky? Maybe...

8. gwhizkids thread starter macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

My guess is no, but they might give you a dirty look for running an unauthorized beta. But legally, sure they could. You installed unauthorized (to you) software on their device. Warranty void!

9. JayLenochiniMac, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It won't really void the warranty, but they may make you pay for the developer account ($99?) if you're a non-developer.

You're SOL if your AW is already out of warranty (unless you're a paid developer). Otherwise, the out of warranty repair is $329 for the SS.

10. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I've now seen several posts by people who've just done this by upgrading to Watch OS 3 Beta 2.

11. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Technically, yes they are or can be. Because in beta it isn't absolutely mandatory everything works. Which can cause larger issues.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Nor can new features be 100% tested and known to work under 'unknown/unforeseen' situations that will only crop up in large scale 'in the wild' testing. This is the true purpose of a beta. It is NOT to give someone special access to new features before everyone else gets them. It is to USE you as a 'guinea pig' to TEST/experiment and by it's very nature experimenting IS more risky.

13. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

Okay, now I'm on public beta for IOS 10 and waiting for the WatchOS 3.

I've joined the group, almost officially.

14. Potus325 macrumors member

Potus325

Sorry for asking a Q with a probably obvious answer but will watchos3 be a public beta or will it only be a public release in the autumn?

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No to the former and test top the latter.

16. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

I was hoping to surprise my wife with a new AW with the new OS3 installed.

Relearning a new functionality on the watch would be awkward for a new user.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's not like you need a PhD to be able to use an Apple device. What's your wife going to do when wOS 4 comes around? Not update to it because she might need to learn a new functionality or two?

18. Potus325 macrumors member

Potus325

Thanks for the info.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Looks like someone (me) needs to sped a second on proofreading.:eek: Should be "...yes to the latter".

20. Potus325 macrumors member

Potus325

Well I'm too well mannered to have pointed it out and I did get your meaning

21. gwhizkids thread starter macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

I thought this was some sort of lingo, myself!

22. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

Yes, updates, luckily happen and we all gladly accept them and make the necessary adjustment.

Just for this moment, I want to offer her a great AW experience with the new OS.

As you know, the difference between an OK and great experience is similar to the AW staying in the drawer or always on the wrist.

Until WatchOS3 comes out, my wife's surprise AW will probably stay in the drawer.

Those who know of finicky users would empathize.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nothing wrong with keeping it until wOS 3 officially debuts if you want her to have the best user experience. Just don't say that learning a new functionality is awkward because that's rarely the case with Apple products.