'Bridge Constructor Portal' Launches on Mac App Store for $9.99

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 1, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Headup Games today announced that its Portal spin-off game "Bridge Constructor Portal" is now officially available for players to buy on the Mac App Store for $9.99 [Direct Link]. The game first launched on December 20 on the iOS App Store, Google Play Store, and Steam.

The Mac App Store version of the game is priced to match the other $9.99 desktop version on Steam, coming in at $5 more than the iPhone/iPad app's $4.99 price tag [Direct Link].

[​IMG]

Bridge Constructor Portal is a fusion of the Bridge Constructor and Portal franchises, tasking players with building bridges to connect pathways in order to safely traverse large pits and avoid falling to their death. These puzzles are blended with Portal's Aperture Laboratories setting, items, and characters. Elements from Portal include the companion cube, repulsion and propulsion gels from Portal 2, and GLaDOS's narration through all of the player's successes and failures.
    Now that the game is available across mobile and desktop devices, Headup Games, ClockStone Software, and Valve are looking toward its release on Nintendo Switch, PS4, and Xbox One "very soon." You can visit the Mac App Store today to download Bridge Constructor Portal [Direct Link], and it can also be downloaded for Apple computers through Steam.

Article Link: 'Bridge Constructor Portal' Launches on Mac App Store for $9.99

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Is there any video available to watch how the game is, might like it.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

4. jdogg836 macrumors regular

jdogg836

Youtube has a ton. It looks addicting.

5. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Using Metal for graphics? Maybe not necessary for good performance in this case and while easier said than done, I do feel it's time to move on from OpenGL on macOS if possible. Or am I wrong? Maybe not needed (yet) for less demanding games.

6. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

I'm super intrigued but I think I'm still gonna wait for the Switch version.

7. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

It looks interesting. I’m still a little sad that Bridgy Jones never got new levels as promised. It didn’t even get updated to 64-bit compatibility so the game file I still have saved is worthless now. I have a PS4 and a Switch. I probably should get the Switch version because I don’t believe the PS4 would offer any graphical improvement and the Switch gives you portability.

8. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

The clips AoW is referencing is from IGN's "First 9 Minutes of Bridge Constructor Portal Gameplay" video

youtube is littered with them. here's the review from 9to5

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

You’re not wrong, Metal-optimized games perform almost identical to Windows games on the same hardware.

I would still rather see Vulkan but Metal is better than the outdated OpenGL.

Unfortunately, other apps still need better OpenGL support to do things that Metal doesn’t do like the virtualization tools.

10. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I completed the iOS version of this.. Its a great and very addictive game!

11. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I have it on the iPhone X, great game. I wouldn’t worry about getting it on the most powerful device you have, but one you have with you a lot. The last level I did took me a few days to complete and I kept dipping in and out, trying different ideas.

12. Shadow%20Mac macrumors demi-god

You are correct. OpenGL never really had a chance in gaming... I think it's time for it to die. OpenGL isn't as simple as a fully abstracted graphics API, nor is it as optimized or performant as hardware level controls. A jack of all trades is a master of none.

13. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

Good, it is on my wishlist

14. brushlee macrumors newbie

brushlee

Awesome and addictive game! Really enjoying it ... ~ 10 levels left.
    Wonder do they have exactly the same levels for "big" game on MacOS?

15. praetorian909 macrumors regular

So wondering which platform is best control-wise, touch or mouse/KB?

16. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

On the App Store it says ”OS X 10.6.6 or later” for the game while on Steam it says ”Minimum OS X 10.9”.
    Guess we at least can be certain it's not using Metal, but some version of OpenGL.

17. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

While I hope we'll get there one day, it seems currently – for whatever reason – many Metal games has performance issues and/or bugs. While World of Warcraft has got Metal support for quite some time (I hear performance in Windows is still better), Blizzard has not released support for Metal for any of their other gamea yet and they even removed the "beta" option to use Metal in Heroes of the Storm because of issues.

The Unreal Engines doesn't seem to run that well on Metal currently, despite Fortnight beeing demoed on stage when El Capitan was announced (if I remember correctly). Just tried Fortnite last night and experienced sever hiccups and framerate drops making the game behave like a slide show. Looking at their forum I'm not alone.

But I guess things will stabilize eventually.

Also think it's sad we don't have Vulkan on MacOS. On Windows there's both DirectX and Vulkan. And OpenGL (4.5) for that matter.

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Puzzles are great for iOS but I would like to also see Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the iPad and use a bluetooth controller and I want it to play as good as a PC.

19. T909 macrumors regular

Probably because Steam doesn't support 10.7 lion and lower