Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Headup Games today announced that its Portal spin-off game "Bridge Constructor Portal" is now officially available for players to buy on the Mac App Store for $9.99 [Direct Link]. The game first launched on December 20 on the iOS App Store, Google Play Store, and Steam.

The Mac App Store version of the game is priced to match the other $9.99 desktop version on Steam, coming in at $5 more than the iPhone/iPad app's $4.99 price tag [Direct Link].

portal-mac-app.jpeg

Bridge Constructor Portal is a fusion of the Bridge Constructor and Portal franchises, tasking players with building bridges to connect pathways in order to safely traverse large pits and avoid falling to their death. These puzzles are blended with Portal's Aperture Laboratories setting, items, and characters. Elements from Portal include the companion cube, repulsion and propulsion gels from Portal 2, and GLaDOS's narration through all of the player's successes and failures.
As a new employee in the Aperture Science test lab, it's your job to build bridges, ramps, slides, and other constructions in 60 test chambers and get the Bendies safely across the finish line in their vehicles.

Make use of the many Portal gadgets, like portals, propulsion gel, repulsion gel, aerial faith plates, cubes, and more to bypass the sentry turrets, acid pools and laser barriers, solve switch puzzles, and make it through the test chambers unscathed.
Now that the game is available across mobile and desktop devices, Headup Games, ClockStone Software, and Valve are looking toward its release on Nintendo Switch, PS4, and Xbox One "very soon." You can visit the Mac App Store today to download Bridge Constructor Portal [Direct Link], and it can also be downloaded for Apple computers through Steam.

Article Link: 'Bridge Constructor Portal' Launches on Mac App Store for $9.99

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Using Metal for graphics? Maybe not necessary for good performance in this case and while easier said than done, I do feel it's time to move on from OpenGL on macOS if possible. Or am I wrong? Maybe not needed (yet) for less demanding games.

Reactions: MikhailT

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It looks interesting. I’m still a little sad that Bridgy Jones never got new levels as promised. It didn’t even get updated to 64-bit compatibility so the game file I still have saved is worthless now. I have a PS4 and a Switch. I probably should get the Switch version because I don’t believe the PS4 would offer any graphical improvement and the Switch gives you portability.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Is there any video available to watch how the game is, might like it.
The clips AoW is referencing is from IGN's "First 9 Minutes of Bridge Constructor Portal Gameplay" video

IGN has a written review with a few short looping clips embedded in it, but no full blown video review as far as I can see:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/19/bridge-constructor-portal-review
youtube is littered with them. here's the review from 9to5

Reactions: justperry

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Using Metal for graphics? Maybe not necessary for good performance in this case and while easier said than done, I do feel it's time to move on from OpenGL on macOS if possible. Or am I wrong? Maybe not needed (yet) for less demanding games.
You’re not wrong, Metal-optimized games perform almost identical to Windows games on the same hardware.

I would still rather see Vulkan but Metal is better than the outdated OpenGL.

Unfortunately, other apps still need better OpenGL support to do things that Metal doesn’t do like the virtualization tools.

Reactions: 69Mustang

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I have it on the iPhone X, great game. I wouldn’t worry about getting it on the most powerful device you have, but one you have with you a lot. The last level I did took me a few days to complete and I kept dipping in and out, trying different ideas.

Reactions: Ener Ji

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California

You are correct. OpenGL never really had a chance in gaming... I think it's time for it to die. OpenGL isn't as simple as a fully abstracted graphics API, nor is it as optimized or performant as hardware level controls. A jack of all trades is a master of none.

brushlee

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Irvine, CA
Awesome and addictive game! Really enjoying it ... ~ 10 levels left.
Wonder do they have exactly the same levels for "big" game on MacOS?

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
On the App Store it says ”OS X 10.6.6 or later” for the game while on Steam it says ”Minimum OS X 10.9”.
Guess we at least can be certain it's not using Metal, but some version of OpenGL.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
You’re not wrong, Metal-optimized games perform almost identical to Windows games on the same hardware.

I would still rather see Vulkan but Metal is better than the outdated OpenGL.

Unfortunately, other apps still need better OpenGL support to do things that Metal doesn’t do like the virtualization tools.

While I hope we'll get there one day, it seems currently – for whatever reason – many Metal games has performance issues and/or bugs. While World of Warcraft has got Metal support for quite some time (I hear performance in Windows is still better), Blizzard has not released support for Metal for any of their other gamea yet and they even removed the "beta" option to use Metal in Heroes of the Storm because of issues.

The Unreal Engines doesn't seem to run that well on Metal currently, despite Fortnight beeing demoed on stage when El Capitan was announced (if I remember correctly). Just tried Fortnite last night and experienced sever hiccups and framerate drops making the game behave like a slide show. Looking at their forum I'm not alone.

But I guess things will stabilize eventually.

Also think it's sad we don't have Vulkan on MacOS. On Windows there's both DirectX and Vulkan. And OpenGL (4.5) for that matter.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Puzzles are great for iOS but I would like to also see Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the iPad and use a bluetooth controller and I want it to play as good as a PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.