bridge file renaming help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bmaikut, Jan 22, 2010.

1. bmaikut macrumors newbie

working in bridge i renamed a file within a file with a "." at the beginning, hoping it would send it to the top of the page but it disappeared. can someone please help me recover this file? i cannot find it anywhere....

brook

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

have you tried using spotlight? ctrl + spacebar

3. bmaikut thread starter macrumors newbie

too random

i did what i did before to another folder and it disappeared as well. problem is i dont know what the file now named, with a . at the beginning or not.... so if i name a file within bridge with a . at the beginning its gone, then when i edit, undo rename it pops right back so the other folder has to be here somewhere. but finder didnt find my test folder either so finder and spotlight dont recognize it for some reason... ah...

thanks

4. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

When you add a "." in front of a file or folder name it becomes a hidden system file. You can down load something like "TinkerTool" and it let you show Hidden files.

5. bmaikut thread starter macrumors newbie

no way around downloading that? cant just whip that baby back into my life another way???

bm

6. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

If that's too much trouble for you I'm sorry I wasted my time trying to help you.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You can use Terminal to rename the file using the move (mv) command.
    Code:
    mv current/path/to/.file /current/path/to/file
    Even if you did turn the visibility of hidden files on Finder doesn't let you edit the names of the hidden files from Finder unless you do a Get Info on the file and change it from there.

You don't need TinkerTool to turn on hidden files either. It can be activated from Terminal.
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1
    You can run this command again with a 0 at the end to undo it.