Bridge Network with Airport Issues Connecting PC via Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stangmmx, Nov 30, 2008.

1. stangmmx macrumors member

Hello there

Alright so, I have the following equipment...

1st Generation Macbook Pro
    Airport Hub (bought shortly after the macbook)
    Wireless Router connected to the cable outlet (Provided to me by ISP)
    HP Pavilion 752n with Windows 2000 Professional
    - ATI Radeon 9600 Pro installed in PC.

I have in the past run on a wireless network set up via my Airport. My PS3 connects to it as well. I'm using WPA/WPA2 security settings etc. The airport has been connected to my router, which is connected to the cable outlet.

I just recently brought my old PC up from home to my apartment, and have been trying to get internet up and running on it. I have plugged an ethernet cable into the Airport, and into the back of the PC, and no internet. HOWEVER, I do have a "Local Area Connection" that starts up immediately upon plugging the cable in. So, after tinkering with this for HOURS, it seems like the PC is almost connected to itself. It doesn't show any hardware connected to it. I try searching via the IP address, and I don't access the router menu. The local area connection shows an exact speed of 100.0 Mbps (never changes) and somehow packets are being sent and received.... I have no idea what's going on....

The internet DID work for a short while. While it was working, I installed a new driver for my graphics card, restarted the computer, and presto the internet was gone. I removed the driver, and still no internet...

Somehow I'm stuck in some weird bridge cycle. I have no idea what's going on. I've tried connecting the PC to both the ISP router and the Airport, and messed with both the Airport settings and the ISP router settings, and haven't gotten anything...

Thoughts? Obviously the PC has to be connected by ethernet, but I truly have no idea why this isn't working. Should be just like a LAN no? ICS?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

what kind of airport hub?

when you say "i have in the past" and "has been connected" does that mean, that's the way it currently is?

the 100 is the overall speed of the connection, not the speed it's currently transmitting data, so what you're experiencing is exactly what's expected.

3. stangmmx thread starter macrumors member

Correct. That is the way it currently is. Sorry, poor wording. Macbook Pro is running on the Wifi Network from the Airport express base station. The base station is plugged into the wireless router provided by my ISP, and that is plugged into the wall (cable outlet).

The airport is the bigger fatter one... Sorry, wasn't aware that there were multiple types of "airport".. It's the one with the four ethernet slots in the back etc.

The PC is connected to one of the four open ethernet ports in the back of the airport. It sees the connection with the airport, though no internet :-( I have tried fiddling with the various airport settings, but I don't know enough about networking to be able to figure it out.

I thought about getting a wireless adapter for the PC, but apparently Windows 2000 isn't capable of that... Even if it was it would have to run off of WEP security, which isn't compatible with my PS3.

The PC did work for a short while. Not sure what the restart did but... something happened :confused:

I have been googling "ICS Windows 2000 Professional" which seems to be the setup I'm trying to get, but once again, I'm a bit of a novice at this.

Lemme know what yall think. :apple:

4. stangmmx thread starter macrumors member

Here are some screenies of the PC configurations. Not sure what you do or don't need to see. They're not very good pics, I had to take them with my phone since the internet isn't working on the computer. Quickest and easiest way.

This is the pic of the connection.
    [​IMG]

When I click on properties under the connection, this is what comes up. I'm sure these settings have something to do with the problem...? Or maybe its the airport settings :confused:
    [​IMG]

Also, this kinda depicts what I'm trying to do. Disabling bridge mode hasn't worked yet though. Everytime I try it, I run into IP overlapping problems (conflicting DHCP and WAN) or something like that........... i have no idea what I'm talking about....... LOL.

"AirPort Extreme's Achilles' Heel

In our testing, AirPort Extreme provides outstanding 802.11n performance through its LAN ports. However, when using Internet Sharing (also known as NAT, or Network Address Translation, mode), throughput via the WAN uplink port drops considerably. We observed a maximum speed of 34 Mbit/sec. in this configuration. While this is faster than a typical cable modem or DSL line, it's considerably slower than a switched 100 Mbit Fast Ethernet connection.

Apple tells us that the AirPort Extreme's NAT implementation is faster than other consumer Internet routers they tested, including the WRT54G series that we compared it to. Our testing confirmed out that it's somewhat faster than our WRT54GS.

AirPort Extreme's WAN port throughput can be boosted back to normal by disabling NAT, running the AirPort in "bridging" mode, but this limits a network designer's ability to separate wireless clients from other portions of the network.

The NAT performance penalty shouldn't be an issue in most home networks, where you typically want your file-servers and network resources on the LAN side of the AirPort base station for better security. However, the performance hit may make the AirPort Extreme a little less suitable for integration into some larger networks, unless Apple can open up the bottleneck." - Google info I found...

EDIT

I just tried plugging in the ethernet cable directly from the wireless modem plugged into the cable outlet, and putting it into the ethernet port in the back of the PC.... Same odd connection situation. I guess this means it has to do with the PC and not my Macbook Pro...?