"Bridge" or extend a Linksys router with an Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by s1w, Sep 7, 2009.

1. s1w macrumors member

My neighbor has a blazing 10mb dl wireless connection which I can use. Problem, I'd like to use my Airport Extreme so I can hook up an external HD for use with Time Machine. I'd like to extend the Linksys wireless network with my AE.

Can this be done without needing a wired connection to set the two routers up? I'm hoping I can just connect my AE to the Linksys by way of remote setup.

Thanks for the help.

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

You can, there is a setting under the airport utility that allows you to extend a network.

For example: I have a TC in my office upstairs that is hooked up to a cable modem and I have a AEBS downstairs in my home theater cabinet wirelessly extending the network. Not only do I get the advantages of better wifi in my house, I'm also able to hardwire my slingbox and xbox360 to the AEBS and my Mini in my office to the TC.

3. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

4. s1w thread starter macrumors member

Must be able to set up remotely

I need to set up the linksys remotely since it's not in my house. Can I add the AE to the Linksys without using a wire initially?

5. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I'm not too familiar with airport extremes and what options they have, but I do have one suggestion.

You could get another cheap router that is capable of running dd-wrt firmware and set it in wireless client bridge mode. So you would connect to your neighbor's wifi signal and then you can connect your airport extreme to one of the lan ports on the router and still use your airport extreme as your home network's wireless point. This method, you won't need to configure anything on your neighbor's router, you just need his ssid/wireless password/and of course permission.