Bridged D-Link Router and extending Airport Extremes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Omek, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Omek macrumors regular

I have GoldenWest as my ISP in South Dakota. Currently, my connection is bridged from a d-link router required by my ISP to an Airport Extreme and is connected by an ethernet cord.

I recently inherited another Airport Extreme and want to extend my newer Airport Extreme to this one. However, every time I change my Airport to "extend a wireless network" and update the Airport, it screws up and is unrecognized. So is it impossible to extend this wireless network while it's in bridge mode?

I'm running Lion, but I tested it on Snow Leopard on another Mac, and it does the same thing. Any ideas?

I wish I could just plug in my wall connection straight into my Airport Extreme, but I don't think ISPs, in general, will let you do that. I have had to login to their d-link support page before by typing my router number into a browser, so I'm not sure if maybe I have to do something within there as well.

2. LFMNX macrumors regular

Update your firmware. Then I know it sounds wrong but select "create a new network" and it will create a bridge to the new one.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's probably not even possible. Your D-link device is probably a modem/router combo. If you have a DSL connection you wouldn't be able to plug the phone jack into the AEBS and even if you could you wouldn't be able to connect to the internet because the AEBS is not a modem.

4. Omek thread starter macrumors regular

I did update the firmware on my newer one. But I'll try bridging to this older airport as well and see if I can update its firmware.

----------

Ya, you're probably right. The router is likely a modem/router combo.

5. Omek thread starter macrumors regular

Yay! It's finally working now. I was just having a blonde moment by plugging the older airport into the newer one as opposed to just plugging it directly into the d-link router/modem, and it automatically started extending the network. I went and plugged it into an outlet in another room and everything seems to be working well. Thanks!