Bridged Router for Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by x07afb, Nov 24, 2011.

1. x07afb macrumors newbie

After dealing with a very poor wireless internet range in my home, I have decided that the problem is the wireless range on the Siemens Gigaset se567 modem/router which was given to me by the ISP. I am heading out this evening to purchase an Apple Airport Extreme (AEBS).
    My research has told me that I can configure the Siemens se567 to "Bridge Mode," disabling the wireless router feature so that it acts as a modem only. If this is true, I am hoping I will experience more reliable connectivity by hooking the AEBS to the Siemens, allowing the AEBS to act as the router instead.
    Here is my question >>> I have also read of numerous instances whereby people have done the reverse setup. In other words, they use the Airport Extreme as the modem (in bridge mode) and the Siemens se567 as the router. I'm just curious as to why anyone would do this? The Seimens has a notoriously bad reputation as a router with very poor wireless range. Conversely, the Airport Extreme supposedly has a very good wireless range (some say better than the Express) as well as the newer 802.11n technology (superior to the Siemens which is b/g). Therefore, using an expensive Airport Extreme as a bridge to a pretty crappy router would defeat the purpose of getting the AE, wouldn't it?
    I'm surely missing something here. I was just wondering if anyone here might be able to shed a little light on the subject for me. I'm buying the Airport Extreme tonight in hopes that it will be a far superior router than the piece of junk I got from my ISP, so I'd kinda like to get this sorted out before I throw down $200.

Thanks in advance,
    Allan

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

3. x07afb thread starter macrumors newbie

You can't? Ok, my mistake. :) So when people talk about "bridging an airport extreme," what do they mean exactly?

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

More often than not it's using multiple extremes to create a wireless network. basically you keep the same SSID across all the AP's but extend the range. Pretty much what's done in larger offices to supply wireless coverage.

I do it here - have a Motorola modem with an Airport behind it with another airport on the 2nd floor of the house. Gives me pretty much spotless coverage. And I can use all the ethernet ports for peripherals like my networked laser printer, etc.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You covered it in your OP, you use your ISPs modem (because you have to) but disable its wireless opting to instead use "bridge mode" on an Extreme/Express to create the wireless network. I do it because my ISPs wireless can't hold a candle to what the Extreme pushes out.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

The only reason the Siemens acts purely as a modem in bridge mode is because it is a combination modem/router to start with. So if you disable the routing of the Siemens (bridge mode), it is then set up strictly as a modem.

The Extreme on the other hand is only a router. It has no modem built in whatsoever. So if you run the Extreme in bridge mode, that just makes it operate as a switch with the ability to transmit an SSID. All of the routing functions will have to be handled by a device upstream.

The bridge mode on an Extreme is useful if you have a combination modem/router that cannot be run in bridge mode (or have a more robust router upstream) but would still like to utilize the Extreme's LAN ports and wireless capabilities. This allows the other router to handle DHCP, NAT, QoS, etc. while the Extreme acts as a switch and a wireless access point.

7. jancantoo macrumors newbie

how to disable the SE567

I have been having the same problems with the router/modem and have purchased a AE. How do I disable the router on the SE567? Please dumb down the reply, I am not that computer savy.