Bridging Timecapsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Coldkill3, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Coldkill3 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, i currently have an existing network which runs under a linksys wireless WRTG54, most of the computers in my house use the wireless g broadcast to connect to the internet, now i understand that there is interference between a G and N netowrk running off the same timecapsule something about the 5ghz and 2.4 ghz wavebands interfering (feel free to correct me and explain in more detail if im wrong). My only concern is that my linksys sometimes drops the connection to my moms laptop. All in all. I want to be able to have my wireless g notebooks connected through my existing network, (if possible i'd like to improve the stability), i would like the timecapsule connected to my network (so it doesnt interfere with wireless g devices trying to access ti while it broadcasts wireless n), i want both networks connected together aka bridged.

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Then you will want to hard wire the TC into the Linksys, and put it in bridge mode. Thus having the Linksys still do all the DHCP, NAT, etc. You will then create a new wireless network from the TC and set it to be only 802.11 N 5GHz. The Linksys will stay on the 802.11 G 2.4GHz.

You will create a unique SSID for each network....something like MyNetwork-G and MyNetwork-N. That way you'll be able to easily tell which is which.

The two networks will not interfere because they are operating on different frequencies.

This is what I have done, and it's working great.

This won't improve stability with your current Linksys G network because in the end, you aren't doing anything with it, you're just adding a TC as a dedicated n only network.

You could replace the Linksys with the TC and have it do b/g/n....but I'm not sure how well that works with the TC.....thought I've read of people having problems with reliability.

-Kevin

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Let me followup my statement here with the fact that, if you combine a single wireless network to do b/g/n....then the entire network will only go as fast as the slowest connection. So in your case if you had the TC handle all b/g/n traffic, if you are connected to the TC at n speeds, and your Mom connects at g speeds, then your speeds will get knocked down to g as well.

This is why a lot of people, like myself, setup the TC to handle the 802.11n 5GHz only. This way, the TC network will stay n speeds, while older legacy devices will connect to the g network.

-Kevin