Bridging two Airport Extremes (old and new) for extended network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brasskey, Jul 1, 2015.

1. brasskey macrumors regular

I currently have a 3rd generation Airport Extreme (A1301) for my house. It is connected in the basement and does well throughout the house. But, sometimes the second floor can get a little spotty, so I bought a refurbished 6th generation (A1521) to bridge with the old model. My main questions is, does it matter which unit is connected to the cable modem and which is the bridged unit upstairs?

2. bootz macrumors member

First thing I would do is try and see if the new AE can cover the whole house. You likely aren't going to get better 5ghz speeds because walls/floors kill the signal, but the stronger 2.4 ghz signal may eliminate the spottiness you get with the current AE.

If you are going to go with the bridge option, I wouldn't do it wirelessly. I doubt you'd see any benefit. If you are determined to do it, I would create a roaming network and connect the AEs together using powerline or MOCA.

3. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Agree with bootz - good old fashioned hard wire is best with airports

4. brasskey thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I plan on bridging them with a Cat6 connection. Every room I have has ethernet connections which go down to my basement, so I can easily connect them wired. Sorry I didn't specify that. So, would the wired connection help? Again, does it matter which one is connected to router?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Wired connections would give the best possible performance. Yes. You want the 6th generation connected to the modem as it offers the better WAN to LAN performance of the two.

6. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

honestly, id sell/ditch the older AEBS and get a matching one so you have consistent coverage and speeds. why go through all that hassle of a nice wired to wired set-up and slouch on wifi - i mean unless you just want to do ethernet instead then it wont matter what wireless options you have.

thats just my opinion, maybe overboard, but i only see it as a consistency issue and having mixed wireless just sort of seeems like a pointless option these days.

7. brasskey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone, I'll see what I can set up.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Report back with any issues or questions...