Brief cases

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Sep 21, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does anyone use brief cases any more. I remember back in the day we all carried them around. Now, its an oddity to see a person on the train with one.

2. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

This is the modern-age briefcase
    [​IMG]

Oddly, it hasn't resulted in less paper being used; we just transport files digitally and then print them AGAIN when we get home or to work.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^^^ Yes but that has to go in something to move from place to place.

I still use a briefcase. Have for 20+ years. Got crazy once and even had a brown one but that's when I was all rebellious and crap.

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me and my co-workers that hasn't been the case. While thumb-drives have certainly aided me, I still need to bring paper-work home (to work at night). Just them mode of transportation has changed. I now use a backpack. I see folks use messenger bags, or other bags but very few brief cases.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do the biggest thing that changed is backpacks have become acceptable to use in the business world. People who those to take things to and from work.

I think the biggest things that brought on this change was the growth of a laptop. Lets face it laptops would add a lot of weight to a brief case and would suck up almost all the room in them so something larger and lighter had to take is place so what people used in their school days entering into the world world. Back packs.

Hell my dad used to take a brief case to and from work everyday. Then he got a laptop for work. It moved to a messager bag which changed over to a backpack when he was having to travel between 2 different offices.

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I agree. I was thinking that most people have a computer at work and a 'work' computer at home as well. I try not to cart my Big Expensive Mac™ off if I can avoid it.

<!-- Lest anyone think I waste paper by printing stuff all over again, my work doesn't dictate I have to; all my files are digital -->

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I personally think backpacks look unprofessional. Most manufacturers make very nice briefcases that have a good sized padded portion for laptops.

With laptops getting thinner/lighter/smaller a backpack shouldn't be necessary. In the semi-formal/formal business meetings I've been to, I can't remember a one with a backpack toter.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

But I can't put my lunch in it! ...or a magazine, breath mints, money for parking, umbrella, 2nd pair of glasses, etc.

Same here. I could use a suitcase! :D

9. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

For some reason, everyone in "management" at work put their company laptops in briefcases and carry them around as if it's full of gold bars.

Everyone in "tech" just use backpacks, and the sales guys just leave it at work ;)