Brief impressions: X25-M in a MBP Classic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beau10, May 18, 2009.

1. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Installed a Kingston 160GB X25-M in my base early 2k8 on Sat... prior drive was WD Scorpio Black 320gb (7200 rpm)

Quick notes:

- Bootup went from 39 seconds to 19 seconds. This is from the moment I hit the power button to when the dock pops up on the desktop
    - Launch time is definitely faster, but it already was pretty quick with the 7200 rpm drive.
    - The biggest wow really is in the multitasking performance. Unbelievable, I can't faze this thing. This is the main reason I bought it - all too often I have an XP VM doing a .NET compilation in the background and Logic open churning on some song and getting bits of stuttering... or doing something similar and getting pauses here and there in Safari... pauses when switching spaces. All of this is gone. The user experience is far... cleaner.
    - Of course, as this is Sata 1, the max throughput shown by XBench was right around 115MB/s. The other scores were similar to what you see in other testing, and overall my machine got a 185-190. Prior I believe it was 130.

I bought this with the full intent of reselling on eBay if it didn't wow me. As I type this on my workstation in the office I'm trying to figure out a way to convince IT to allow me to put one in on my own accord. But at this price I don't think I would recommend it for casual users.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking???? Im thinking of buying one, Im just hoping the cost is slowly getting cheaper over time.

3. Beau10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see you're in the UK so I'm not sure if this will help much - I got it from eBay, free shipping + insurance just over $600. With 8% instant MS cashback it came out to a bit under $560. There's a handful of eBay sellers selling these Kingston 160gb kits cheaper than most right now, most likely due to Buy.com having a pricing error on it a couple weeks back - which they took advantage of, and are subsequently flipping for a tidy profit. AFA warranty, it doesn't appear Kingston requires proof of purchase to get an RMA.

My pain threshold for entering the SSD game was set at $500.... so close enough :D