Brief review of 13" rBMP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Naimfan, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Naimfan, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Well, just for the experience I went and bought one yesterday - the 13" with 256 GB SSD, one of the only models they actually stock. The usual nice packaging, store experience was fine, etc.

And:

It's nice. Really. The retina screen is fine. Nicer than the one on my son's 13" cMBP? In some respects, yes, though not as bright. There's a tiny bit of lag while scrolling - though you have to watch for it. And no ghosting yet.

However: The price is exorbitant - a complete rip-off. In normal use it doesn't feel any faster (or "snappier") than the cMBP (granted, 16 GB of RAM in the cMBP vs. 8 in the rMBP). The body of it feels flimsy - reminds me of why I dislike the Air the so much - I keep waiting to tap right through the keyboard while typing. There IS such a thing as "too thin" - and this is on the wrong side of that line. I'm also one of those who actually does upgrade my laptop - and the utter lack of expansion capability is a huge turnoff.

As for the weight difference? Insignificant. In fact, it'd probably be a bigger PITA to live and travel with because you'd have to carry an external drive around to keep all your files on, as well as an external Superdrive - either of which completely defeat the purpose of having an all-in-one laptop. I'm travelling next week for work, and will take it with me as a double-check, but don't hold your breath.

It is nice having an HDMI port, because my wife and I have a TV with an HDMI input as well as the requisite cable. But when my son asked if he could watch a movie on it, he was more than a bit bemused to learn it didn't have an optical drive. And, of course, neither of us could get all our files on it, given the 256 GB storage limit.

Looks fine, screen is nice, totally not worth the money - it gives you nothing that the cMBP doesn't already do, unless an HDMI port is that big a deal - and there are adapters out there for mini-DP to HDMI . . . for a lot less than $1899. What I'll most likely end up doing is returning the rMBP in favor of a 13" i7 and swapping the 8 GB RAM for 16 GB (aftermarket).

We'll see - so far, I'm not impressed. I'm not sure Steve Jobs would have let it out of the factory - I think he would have appreciated the engineering achievement but failed it for costing too much.

[EDIT] I've noticed that it uses 768 MB of RAM for VRAM, compared to 512 MB in my son's 13". I've also not noticed a problem with IR or with scrolling.

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Return it and get a cMBP 13", save the money, go on vacation. Enjoy life :D

3. knarzie macrumors regular

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

I'm returning mine. It's just too expensive

Mind you, I also own the 15 retina, and that one is not going anywhere :D

If you in the market for light, I suggest the Air. Much better value, and its lighter.

5. Melons macrumors member

All the "problems" you listed was known beforehand, in all honesty it sounds like you didnt buy one and just want to rant like every other hater out there. You like to upgrade, have a superdrive and to have alot of storage, still you bought it, that must be the stupiest decision ive seen in a long while.

6. racer1441 macrumors 68000

So, needed big hard drive, wants to use CD's and DVD's, doesn't like thin designs.

Yeah, buying the rMBP was a smart idea.:rolleyes:

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I think you went wrong when you bought a laptop you knew you couldn't upgrade.

Oh well, give it back and move on.

8. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Next time, find out how much something costs before you buy it.

9. Maczor macrumors regular

He has 14 days from the day of purchase to send it back if he is not pleased and get his money back.

10. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 68040

Naimfan

This was in the "don't knock it until you try it" category. I was well aware of the cost before I bought it - I was curious to see if the screen could possibly justify the price premium. In a word, no.

Funny to see how people react, though!

11. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I gave it a good test drive in the store, which included picking it up and seeing if it was "flimsy." IMO it felt stiffer than the air. In fact, my impression is that is feels like it's made out of solid aluminum. No flex whatsoever. After all, it is a unibody enclosure, it doesn't "flex" unless it gets permanently bent. I'm not sure what part could feel flimsy.

Performance-wise, it definitely felt snappier than my 2009 macbook pro at home. And even my 2009 feels snappier than the one I use at work (2011 2.2GHz quad-core) because I installed an SSD in my home machine.

I think I'm definitely going to pick up a base model 13". It's expensive, but then again, it'll be more expensive on resale too. ;)

12. Maczor macrumors regular

Seriously now... I'm assuming your son has the 2011 model... If so ( and I'm quite sure that my assumptions is not off ): It has the SAME CPU and GPU as the cMBP ( the memory difference is negligible )... Why on Earth are people expecting the SAME thing to be faster just because it's put into new case and has a better display ( that actually pushes the CPU / GPU a bit more than a non-retina display )? Is your son older than you are... ? That would explain a few things... :rolleyes:

----------

Well, if the guy has 100+ kg and leans on it...
    Or has Hulk hands / arms... use your imagination a bit! :cool:

13. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Ah, an ad hominem. The refuge of the ignorant.

One of the rallying cries of Air and rMBP fans is that the use of SSD makes things feel faster and/or "snappier." The rMBP doesn't feel that way to me.

14. Maczor macrumors regular

Are you high? Please commit self-ignore...
    ... you're clearly a very knowledgeable human being.

Good job! :rolleyes:

15. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 68040

Naimfan

And another! Go Maczor!

That's two ad hominems vs. zero substance.

Go on, keep it up!

;)

16. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

SSDs are significantly faster and more reliable. You can displace the read-head on a mechanical HDD if it's shaken around too much (it can also happen in more normal use); after that the HDD is toast. SSDs also don't suffer from fragmentation; because blocks aren't read linearly from a spinning plate, there's no performance impact if the files are scattered around the blocks on disk.

Why not compare startup times? That's always much faster with an SSD.

17. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

I wouldn't count on that. If Apple got the price wrong at retail (likely because they wanted to defend the MBA price line-up), the secondary market WILL make up for that with steeper discounts, especially when Haswell comes out and the lack of a DGPU is less significant.

18. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Amount of RAM doesn't make it any faster (unless you're getting close to the maximum). Speed of RAM is what makes it faster. If it's a 2012 cMBP, then they're both 1600MHz. The snappiness would come from the SSD, if anything (since both probably have similar processors).
    Did you really not know this beforehand!? Besides, aside from RAM (which comes in at 8GB as its min and max), you can still upgrade the SSD. What else are you trying to upgrade?
    Who the heck needs more than 256GB when they travel? Who carries CDs around with them while they travel? If you're concerned with not having to carry around an external hard drive, opt for a bigger SSD, setup a NAS accessible from outside your home, or make use of the myriad of cloud storage solutions available. If you knew you were going to be traveling and needed more than 256GB and had to make use of CDs, why did you buy it in the first place :confused:
    Why not just use his laptop? I also find it hard to believe you don't have a single other device connected to that TV that can play DVDs. DVD player, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, etc? If you're willing to drop almost $2000 on a rMBP and surely $1000+ for your son's cMBP... and the fact that you have a son... surely one of the aforementioned must be available in your household.
    I'd bet all my money that Steve had as much to do with the design and price as anyone else at Apple, if not more so. There're still products he took part in designing/creating/managing that are still in the pipeline.

19. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Listen, bub. This is macrumors. We only want positive, nonobjective feedback that helps us rationalize our irrational purchases so that we can continue to fill the void in our sad, empty lives with shiny, new, overpriced products. So shape up or ship out!

20. Hrim macrumors member

From my experience, no rMBP is perfect.
    I use mine everyday and it's ok. Money is not really an issue for me and it cost me only 1500$. It's more like a gadget for me.

However, if that was my only computer or professional machine, I'd be very mad and would have returned it immediately.

It can be very frustrating, slow and bugged. You should be aware of that by now!

21. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

Haha.

Funny how people reacts on negative criticism. Nice to hear a subjective review of a purchase and not some review-site with a suspecious hang to express happiness about new products from Apple.

22. Purant macrumors 6502

He bought it because he wanted to try it. He tried it and didn't like it very much. All's well. And frankly with the amount of money Apple is asking for the 13inch we'd better be VERY critical of the machine.

To the OP: I enjoyed the brief review, thanks.

23. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Great post.

Keep updating on your findings thanks!

I am playing around and test driving my 13" r-macbook here.

Yes the display is beautiful but similar to my 17" MBP in many respects.
    I really love the size and look of it, yes it does feel strange, just like when I test driven the 15" r-macbook how it is so thin - felt like a toy, the only thing beefy were the insides, the outside would warp if I sneezed on it (sort of thing).

Over heating is something built into IVY Bridge, I read everywhere and feel it for sure on both 13 & 15 retina inchers just running basic tasks, comparing side by side with my maxed out 17" performing same tasks - they are portable heaters.

Battery life is really a concern as well, the 17" is running Lion and I get up to 13 hour readings where as on those two r-macbooks the time counts down quicker especially after sleep, with everything turned off - including wifi to perform medium tasks, the battery would decrease 1% every 3 minutes.

There is lag. There is loud fan going often for simple tasks, off line with bluetooth and wifi off, like editing simple videos of my visits with my godchildren, they notice the noise and get very annoyed with me using the notebook around them, they send me to the corner for time out *LOL*.

I don't have a hate on for this years products for the record, I love innovation and technology and I love to get them to test drive. I spend and get refunds of up to 15, 000 every other month to satiate my techno thirst, test drive em all and then return them.

Feels great to have a credit score of 898 - 980. Give it a try.

24. dubels, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

dubels macrumors 6502

You completely missed the point of the rMBP. All the things you complained about you knew about going in so its not a review more of an explanation that you bought a computer that doesn't fit your needs. No sane person goes out and buys a sports car to tow a boat. Don't try to fit a round peg in a square hole.

If you have real negative criticism thanks, but this sounds just like all those complaining the new iPhone 5 is too light and thin. You complained that this laptop is too thin? Really... you bought a thin laptop... You bought a laptop made to be thin without an optical drive...

The thing that keeps me from buying the a rMBP is the inability of the 13 to actually use the screen to its full ability and the 15 is too expensive.

25. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

You completly missed the point of the review. He just thought I was too thin for his taste.

Thank to the OP for the brief review