Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppAdvice posts a brief video preview of the first beta version of iOS 4.2 for iPad, which was released just a few hours ago. The primary feature shown off in the walkthrough is multitasking, which allows users to easily jump back and forth between applications. Also featured are the universal inbox for email and a brief view of the launch screen for Apple's Game Center service.

According to some notes accompanying the video, the iPad allows for users to view seven application in the multitasking tray in landscape mode and six apps in portrait mode. In addition, AirPlay can be activated directly from the Photos application, allowing users to stream their content to the forthcoming Apple TV revision.

Apple's new AirPrint service, which currently requires interfacing with a Mac running the latest Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta, is not addressed in the walkthrough.

Article Link: Brief Video Preview of iOS 4.2 for iPad: Multitasking, Unified Inbox, and More

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
the iPad allows for users to view seven application in the multitasking tray in landscape mode and six apps in portrait mode.

So where does that seventh app go when you switch to portrait mode? A mystery for the ages...

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Dude really needs to turn on the steady cam option... seems like he's had way too much coffee..

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
gee, with print services and multi-tasking, this "over-sized iPod" is looking more and more like a computer.

P.

notromeel

macrumors regular
May 19, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I feel like I usually have more time on my hands when dealing with my iPad than with my iPhone... the idea of multi-tasking on iPad is cool, I guess, but nothing to go crazy over.

And unified inbox, woopty do - way overdue.

Nothing to get excited about. Poor use of screen real estate, IMO.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I feel like I usually have more time on my hands when dealing with my iPad than with my iPhone... the idea of multi-tasking on iPad is cool, I guess, but nothing to go crazy over.

And unified inbox, woopty do - way overdue.

Nothing to get excited about. Poor use of screen real estate, IMO.

You're in the minority, "woopty do". I'm looking forward to this.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So—how many apps per folder on iPad?

Maybe so - just voicing my opinion. Why are you looking forward to it?

Unified Inbox has been a huge time/hassle saver for me: I used to have to manually flip back and forth (through multiple screens, two forward, two back) every time I wanted to check my mail! Now it’s all right there on one screen.

So where does that seventh app go when you switch to portrait mode? A mystery for the ages...

The app switcher holds tons and tons of apps, and you swipe to scroll through the “pages.” This is simply about how many are visible in the switcher at any one moment.

So the 7th app goes to the next “page."

mojoxp

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
Can I have more than 2 Safari tabs open now without them reloading every time i switch between them?

koach

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Can I have more than 2 Safari tabs open now without them reloading every time i switch between them?

Doubtful, as Apple stubbornly refuses to add a pagefile to iOS, so the only way to fix that issue is to buy iPad 2 with more RAM.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Folders?
Only 7 apps in multitasking? What happens if you open another? It closes the first opened?

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
I just want to see how retina iPhone apps will work. Can't wait to see 2x disappear.

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
Folders?
Only 7 apps in multitasking? What happens if you open another? It closes the first opened?

It wil be the same as the iPhone - you arent limited to 7 active apps - just 7 viewable apps at one time - just scroll through the rest...

notromeel

macrumors regular
May 19, 2009
Baltimore, MD
So—how many apps per folder on iPad?

Unified Inbox has been a huge time/hassle saver for me: I used to have to manually flip back and forth (through multiple screens, two forward, two back) every time I wanted to check my mail! Now it’s all right there on one screen.

"

Sure, I'm sure this small unification is a time saver.. just seems minuscule things to announce at a keynote.

Can we get to iOS 5 already?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.