Bright screen in bootcamp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ddsdude, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ddsdude macrumors newbie

Have a late 09 i7 27" iMac with XP SP3 installed on Bootcamp partition. Even after turning down brightness in Bootcamp control panel all the way down, I still feel like I'm staring at the sun... screen is still way too bright. No such issue in OSX.

Is there any Windows app (similar to Shades) that allows further brightness reduction? With brightness as is, Bootcamp is pretty much unusable to me.

2. ddsdude thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Tenshi macrumors newbie

Yeah for some reason the lowest brightness isn't as low as it is on the mac side... I can just live with it.

4. mas01 macrumors newbie

Wear goggles! heh, Jokes! I also have the same problem, I just lowered the brightness. At-least it wasn't as bright as before.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah its bright as well on my 24" iMac even on the lowest setting. You will get used to it though.

6. ddsdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Goggles, lmao. Can't believe there's no Windows app for something so simple.

7. Crb macrumors member

Well, you have to understand that in the Windows world, monitors and PC's are almost always separate and most (if not ALL) monitors have brightness controls on the monitor itself so not really any reason for an app like that.

Thanks for this thread though, I have a 27" iMac and didn't even realize that I could use the bootcamp assistant thingy to change the brightness in bootcamp! :cool:

8. Mafetapaz macrumors newbie

i'm having the same problem... Went to Control Panel-> Boot Camp, under the brightness tab and set as low as possible, but still it's too high... have you solved this problem?

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U guys should start complaining to Apple to fix this issue. If no one complains, they won't ever fix this and we'll be staring at the sun when using Win7 :)

10. PAUSIMS macrumors newbie

Any news on this issue? I just can't live with so much brightness!! :eek:

11. iMac27 macrumors newbie

I also have this problem, and it sucks! The strange thing is, is that it boots up dim like my mac OSX but then once the bootcamp icon pops up in the task bar, it brightens up. I hope they fix it soon. Anything with a white background is almost unbearable to look at.

12. Garrett67 macrumors regular

I used ATI Tool, I think that is what it was. I know that is for overclocking but now I guess I better go boot up in Bootcamp and look so you don't waste your time.

But it is adjustable... I'll be back.

Its called ATI Tray Tools.

The only reason I downloaded it was for the brightness setting. You'll find that by right clicking the icon in the tray (it can be tricky to get menu up), then click video settings.

13. slicecom macrumors 68020

The problem is that in Bootcamp the brightness of the backlight remains the same all the time. The brightness level is adjusted in software only. That's why it can't go anywhere near as dark as it can in OSX.

14. iMac27 macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestion, great find!

15. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I downloaded that app but can't even get it working :/

16. plegilink macrumors newbie