Bright Spot on My Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teerexx52, Apr 10, 2008.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have a MacBook Pro late model that has a "bright spot" towards the middle of the screen. Its an area about the size of a quarter and it is brighter than the surrounding screen. Not dead or stuck pixels. You can see it on light colored web pages or back grounds. Anyone else experience this? Wondering if I should take it to the Genius Bar or consider myself lucky the screen has none of the other mentioned problems. Thanks

2. Mackan macrumors 65816

Does it annoy you? If so, then have Apple replace the screen.

3. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I had that, but had about three of them, all the size of dimes.

Sent it to Apple, and got a replaced screen.

Unfortunately a month later, my new screen has other issues, but that's another matter.

4. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Well I guess thats the point with Apple these days. Get one thing fixed and find now you have another problem. Lesser of evils I would think?

5. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Yeah, my screen has somehow developed "blemishes" (looks like dirt, but is a problem with the screen - seems like a fairly common issue). I didn't elaborate on it, since I didn't want to hijack your topic. :)

Anyhow, I'm going to take it to an Apple Store this Saturday. Hope your problem/resolution has a better outcome!

6. Thornie macrumors member

I just want to relay my experience with this issue, as I have been jumping through hoops with this issue for over a year. My MPB's display has the same exact problem as the OP, two bright dots smack dab in the middle of the screen. I also have the dark "dirty" smudges in and around the same area. My display developed these problems 3 weeks after buying it back in Dec '07 (I have a 2.16 Merom MBP). The funny thing is, they literally just "appeared" and have gotten progressively worse over the last 15 months or so. The first 3 weeks I owned it, I rarely if ever touched it. It sat on a stand on my desk and I used it only for email, and surfing the web. Any way...

I brought it into the Apple Store (57th and 5th, NYC) and had a genius take a look at it a few days after the "blotches" first appeared. Being it was only a few weeks old and after hearing such positive genius bar experiences, I was SURE they would replace it at no cost to me. They guy took a look at it and complimented me on how "brand new" and "pristine" the machine was, opened the MBP and spotted the "blotches" right away. He told me he had seen these before and there was nothing he could do. He went on to say that if really bothered me I could pay to have the screen replaced. Needless to say I was pretty angry. I'm not the argumentative type, so I just expressed to him that I never used the MBP and it's absurd that I would have to pay for something that is obviously a design flaw. He apologized again, and handed me my computer.

I didn't really know what to do, so I just made an appointment at the other Apple store here in NYC (SOHO store) hoping maybe I'd get a different answer. I took it there and got pretty much the same answer. This time the guy tried to massage the blotch out, and told me to try and do the same when I got home. This time I asked for a manager, which made me feel awkward because the guy was really cool and I didn't want to come off as a jerk. Spoke to the manager, who deferred to the genius most of the time as I was explaining my situation. She told me that there was no way she or Apple could replace my screen unless I choose to pay for the whole thing. Dejected, I just took my computer and left.

I decided to just put up a black desktop wallpaper and just forget about it, until recently. I started to google around and found that other users who were experiencing the same display malaise were getting their screens replaced by Apple! Why all of a sudden are they NOW starting to consider this a design flaw?! It's been about 15 month since the purchase of my computer, and I did not buy Apple Care. So even if I were to take it in, I'm no longer covered under any warranty. The "blotches" have gotten worse, and while it doesn't affect the "usability" of my MBP, it's ugly and VERY noticeable. This whole situation has been very frustrating and somewhat unfair. I now have to pay 500 bucks to have my screen replaced on a machine I payed over $2300 for. Not cool.

7. PDE macrumors 68020

Thornie,
    If you bought your computer with a credit card VISA/MS or AMEX, your warranty is automatically extended for free for one extra year through your CC. Just call them and ask them to make sure you're covered and then take it to Apple and have them replace the screen. Your CC will reimburse you within a week.

I wouldn't let Apple get away with it so easily though - try getting them to do it for free first. After all, it has been documented that you came in a long time ago and now they're replacing the displays. Hope the above helps!

8. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Not sure what I am going to do with this. I have always been treated well at my local Apple Store. However, I'm afraid of getting something worse.
    I did buy Apple Care so I have 3 year warranty. So I will just have decide what I want to do.
    Wow! I'm sorry you were treated that way. No way that should happen.

9. meanieblue macrumors newbie

meanieblue

Spots on diffuser for MacBook Air LED backlit LCD display

I've experienced a similar issue with my 2011 MacBook Air 11 inch.
    I believe its a flaw in the diffuser (white piece of plastic used to distribute the light from the LED backlight).

It looks like this:http://sites.google.com/site/ltechprojects/pacturescreendamage