Brighter backlight along the top of the screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tubamajuba, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I have a 2016 13" MBP without the touchbar, and it's honestly got the best screen I've ever had- with one exception. All along the very top of the screen (a diameter of about half the height of the menu bar), the backlight appears to be slightly brighter than it is throughout the rest of the screen. I don't think it's backlight bleed, as it isn't visible on dark screens like traditional backlight bleed is. Does anyone else have this, and is it normal?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Haven't noticed it on my 15", or heard of it from others here. Can you get a photo?

3. Tubamajuba thread starter macrumors 68000

Sure. It's hard to notice in these pictures, but the solid blue has a noticeable gradient when the menu bar isn't being shown. When the menu bar occupies the top of the display, the blue bar is actually one solid color. Any time a solid color is displayed along the top, it's similarly brighter at the very top. IMG_0914.JPG IMG_0915.JPG IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0917.jpg

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

It does look like a bit of backlight bleed, but you say it isn't visible on dark screens. Do you mean it isn't visible when you turn the screen brightness down so it gets dark, or that it you put up a solid black screen with brightness up high it doesn't show?

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I got a new MacBook Pro a day or two ago and the screen is perfect. There's a few minor things I posted threads about on here but the screen is perfect. Even, good color, etc.

6. Tubamajuba thread starter macrumors 68000

It's not visible when a solid black screen is displaying and the brightness is maxed out. I have extremely minor backlight bleed in the bottom of the display, but absolutely none on the top- until something is actually displaying on that part of the screen.

So I take it that the very top of your screen is completely uniform to the rest of it?

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Yeah, I don't see anything...could be just my eyes but it looks fine...

8. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

I can't see anything either, but it could just be the camera hiding it from view. Whenever I've had screen issues and tried to take a picture of it the issue has never shown up clearly on the camera.

Once had a monitor where essentially the backlight for left half decided that it was a 1080i monitor while the backlight for the right half decided to continue being a 1080p monitor. Turned out to be surprisingly difficult to get the problem to show up on a photo as the backlight for the pixels that had working backlight compensated for their non-functioning neighbors a lot better on camera than with the naked eye. Trick was to set the camera to really fast shutter speed, but even then the effect wasn't anywhere near as pronounced as it was with the naked eye.

Thus my suggestion is to try to take another picture of it, except this time with the fastest possible shutter speed on the camera. On most pocket cameras and DSLRs for people who would otherwise be buying pocket cameras (like my Nikon D3100) you can achieve this by using the Sports mode.