Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiddo86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I just got my i7 17" and I can't even explain how much of an upgrade this is from my 2 year old 15" MBP. My 15" already looks just plain tiny by comparison, the extra resolution is totally perfect for me and makes viewing large documents so much easier, not to mention how wonderful it is for video and gaming... but the most shocking difference with this new machine is by far the screen. I'm sorry for the few posters who are apparently having problems with their new screens being dim or yellow tinted bit this is easily the most vibrant and beautiful display I have ever seen and I have a very, very picky eye. There are 5 laptops now in my apartment between my two roommates and I and this screen stands miles ahead of even the second closest. The picture doesn't do it justice. In person, the same white images on the two screens side-by-side look completely different. The old 15" looks totally grey when it sits next to the new 17" i7.

2247512700094790671S600x600Q85.jpg

AshStorm

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
I'm assuming you got the Glossy 17" i7 instead of the Matte 17" i7?

I have to ask...
Did you order it online or find a store with a i7 17"?

Congratulations on your new baby! :p

Kiddo86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I'm assuming you got the Glossy 17" i7 instead of the Matte 17" i7?

I have to ask...
Did you order it online or find a store with a i7 17"?

Congratulations on your new baby! :p

Both are glossy models. I rarely use my laptops anywhere that I have an issue with a glare at all. Yes, I ordered the i7 online the Tuesday they were released. FedEx got it to me today, 3 days before their estimated delivery date. Absolutely no complaints so far... nothing but expectations totally met and unexpected (good) surprises... the sound being one of them. There is no comparing the sound between these two machines... I would call the i7 50%+ louder in general and carries very impressive bass.

rectifiability

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
I just got my i7 17" and I can't even explain how much of an upgrade this is from my 2 year old 15" MBP. My 15" already looks just plain tiny by comparison, the extra resolution is totally perfect for me and makes viewing large documents so much easier, not to mention how wonderful it is for video and gaming... but the most shocking difference with this new machine is by far the screen. I'm sorry for the few posters who are apparently having problems with their new screens being dim or yellow tinted bit this is easily the most vibrant and beautiful display I have ever seen and I have a very, very picky eye. There are 5 laptops now in my apartment between my two roommates and I and this screen stands miles ahead of even the second closest. The picture doesn't do it justice. In person, the same white images on the two screens side-by-side look completely different. The old 15" looks totally grey when it sits next to the new 17" i7.

2247512700094790671S600x600Q85.jpg

It's a beautiful-looking computer, enjoy your baby!

I was somewhat under the impression that LCDs dimmed over time. Can someone more techwonky than myself confirm or deny this? It may be possible that your 15" was this bright and beautiful when you first bought it.

LedCop

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
Would you mind copying and pasting the following into the "Terminal" app, please?

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

It's a UNIX command that will display the model of your LCD. I'm interested in knowing who is the manufacturer behind that marvelous LCD!

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I was somewhat under the impression that LCDs dimmed over time. Can someone more techwonky than myself confirm or deny this? It may be possible that your 15" was this bright and beautiful when you first bought it.

LED backlit screens do not dim as badly as CCFL backlights. LED backlights are more common now, but, there are still plenty of CCFL backlights out there getting dimmer by the day.

I have an early 2008 LED 15" MBP and it's still pretty much TOO bright in a dark room.

Kiddo86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Would you mind copying and pasting the following into the "Terminal" app, please?

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

It's a UNIX command that will display the model of your LCD. I'm interested in knowing who is the manufacturer behind that marvelous LCD!

LTN170CT10 - It appears to be a Samsung product. http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_255&products_id=6625

I calibrated the LED today and now it looks even better... when I'm using my 15" side-by-side with the 17" I keep trying to turn up the brightness on the 15" now because it feels like its at about 75% brightness comparatively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.