Brightkite App Available in the App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by kwjohns, Oct 20, 2008.

1. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's a really nice app. Glad to see they made something native.

3. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Seems limited unless you have a ton of people in your area who register then use the app. Others like yelp are already in the store that try and do that.

4. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

Yeah I'm in the UK near London and there are hardly any people using it. Shame really as I tried BK a while back and liked it but found that back then there weren't enough people using it.

Perhaps Twinkle has taken BK's place?

5. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I think Brightkite hasn't really taken off much because it requires an invite to join. Not sure when they plan on opening it up for anyone.

6. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

7. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

If memory serves me, Brightkite has been around longer than Twinkle.

It is just that Twitter has a good adoption rate at the moment and Twinkle was the best Twitter client for a while (I think Twittelator is better now and also the latest Twitterific) and Twinkle also included a location option.

Brightkite's functionality goes much beyond the location services in Twinkle though, Brightkite is more focused on set locations and posting pictures/notes/etc to that location and when I say location I mean establishments like specific bars/restaurants not just a lat/long like in Twinkle.

8. unixphone macrumors regular

umm does the "Notifications" work like push? or his phone is JB phone?

9. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

This could be the best app ever and I would never know because it is currently a "private beta." I was excited about the opportunity to try it but was quickly dissapointed to learn that I can't even use it because it's "invite only". Due to this I will be giving it a very low and poor review.

10. waveman216 macrumors newbie

To those of you whining about it being invite only, I didn't have an invite. I clicked the button that says "request an invite" or whatever it is. I got an invite. Problem solved.

11. sfh macrumors regular

like the other ones ... it isn't much fun when there aren't a bunch of other people using it.

12. sibruk macrumors 6502a

The problem is we don't need YET ANOTHER social networking site! This should have been made as a plugin to interface with existing networks. And then maybe it would be popular.

13. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

No one forced you to join...?

14. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Didn't say they did! Sounds like a useful app. Shame about the fact you have to sign up to a new social network, rather than use existing ones.

15. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

It does optionally interface with other networks like Twitter...

I think Brightkite really missed a huge opportunity by not releasing their iPhone app at launch of the app store, I appreciate they took the time to do their app properly (and they did as it is awesome) but if it was there at launch they would have captured the entire market.

16. kevin512 macrumors member

kevin512

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The Ars Technica article posted by the OP has an "invite" link to sign up.

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'll invite people to the site if you want one.

I have 10 invites.

18. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Yeah I have some invites also if people really want to try. Very awesome service. More will get on it soon. I am downloading it now.

19. Project macrumors 68020

Can I have an invite please?

Email address is daproject... gmail.

I think ultimately Facebook will come out with something very similar. They have the numbers already to make this work

20. m4rc macrumors 6502

Go to their site and enter your email address, you will get an invite in a few minutes, no need to worry about finding someone with an invite spare.

21. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Is this yet another app that uses your GPS to publicize where you are and what you're doing for the world to see?

22. elbirth macrumors 65816

good thing more people don't think like you, or lots of things would never come to fruition.... remember when gmail was invite-only? It's now one of the top web-based email services available now. What about any other software beta that's private? Private betas are in place for a reason, and just because you want to whine because you haven't found out how to get an invite is an invalid reason to shun an app. They say on the app page that it's an invite-only private beta, and they say that you should get an invite within 24 hours if you request one through the app.

23. JZ Wire macrumors regular

JZ Wire

Well, I signed up so lets see how it goes. The iphone app is pretty nice and has quite a few nice features. So far so good...