Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Seems limited unless you have a ton of people in your area who register then use the app. Others like yelp are already in the store that try and do that.

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Seems limited unless you have a ton of people in your area who register then use the app. Others like yelp are already in the store that try and do that.

Yeah I'm in the UK near London and there are hardly any people using it. Shame really as I tried BK a while back and liked it but found that back then there weren't enough people using it.

Perhaps Twinkle has taken BK's place?

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I think Brightkite hasn't really taken off much because it requires an invite to join. Not sure when they plan on opening it up for anyone.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
And thus another twinkle clone is born

If memory serves me, Brightkite has been around longer than Twinkle.

It is just that Twitter has a good adoption rate at the moment and Twinkle was the best Twitter client for a while (I think Twittelator is better now and also the latest Twitterific) and Twinkle also included a location option.

Brightkite's functionality goes much beyond the location services in Twinkle though, Brightkite is more focused on set locations and posting pictures/notes/etc to that location and when I say location I mean establishments like specific bars/restaurants not just a lat/long like in Twinkle.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
This could be the best app ever and I would never know because it is currently a "private beta." I was excited about the opportunity to try it but was quickly dissapointed to learn that I can't even use it because it's "invite only". Due to this I will be giving it a very low and poor review.

waveman216

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2006
To those of you whining about it being invite only, I didn't have an invite. I clicked the button that says "request an invite" or whatever it is. I got an invite. Problem solved.

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
The problem is we don't need YET ANOTHER social networking site! This should have been made as a plugin to interface with existing networks. And then maybe it would be popular.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
The problem is we don't need YET ANOTHER social networking site! This should have been made as a plugin to interface with existing networks. And then maybe it would be popular.

No one forced you to join...?

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
Didn't say they did! Sounds like a useful app. Shame about the fact you have to sign up to a new social network, rather than use existing ones.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA

It does optionally interface with other networks like Twitter...

I think Brightkite really missed a huge opportunity by not releasing their iPhone app at launch of the app store, I appreciate they took the time to do their app properly (and they did as it is awesome) but if it was there at launch they would have captured the entire market.

kevin512

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

javaGuru said:
This could be the best app ever and I would never know because it is currently a "private beta." I was excited about the opportunity to try it but was quickly dissapointed to learn that I can't even use it because it's "invite only". Due to this I will be giving it a very low and poor review.

The Ars Technica article posted by the OP has an "invite" link to sign up.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Yeah I have some invites also if people really want to try. Very awesome service. More will get on it soon. I am downloading it now.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Can I have an invite please?

Email address is daproject... gmail.

I think ultimately Facebook will come out with something very similar. They have the numbers already to make this work

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Go to their site and enter your email address, you will get an invite in a few minutes, no need to worry about finding someone with an invite spare.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US

good thing more people don't think like you, or lots of things would never come to fruition.... remember when gmail was invite-only? It's now one of the top web-based email services available now. What about any other software beta that's private? Private betas are in place for a reason, and just because you want to whine because you haven't found out how to get an invite is an invalid reason to shun an app. They say on the app page that it's an invite-only private beta, and they say that you should get an invite within 24 hours if you request one through the app.

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
Well, I signed up so lets see how it goes. The iphone app is pretty nice and has quite a few nice features. So far so good...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.