Brightness adjustment and battery consumption?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by holyindian, Feb 15, 2014.

1. holyindian macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I am new to rMBP, i picked up mine a 15.4 incher yesterday.
    Still trying to understand the functions and the learning curve.

As soon as i turned up the rMBP, the initial setup gave me a hard time, the screen was laggy, nor could i click in the form fields.. even if i did, it wouldnt seem that its on the form field, when i type something in one field it would not show anything, when i move the cursor to another field the previous one would come up.. probably wiht multiple characters cos i tried typing over and over cos it would not show up.. Does this happen? Or is there an issue with my hardware.
    Anways once the system was setup, now i dont see any lag, however i still want to make sure.. that my system is free of any hardware defect.

Apart from that.. what brightness level do you set on your rMBP? Initially it was set to 50%, i would like to increase it to the fullest 100%, will it affect the 7-8hrs of battery life if i do so? is the 8 hrs battery claim on a 50% brightness level or 100%?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could run the built in Apple Hardware Test to check for problems.

I use a Macbook Air and normally run at about 50% brightness.

Yes, cranking the brightness all the way up to 100% will definitely impact battery life. Those Apple advertised numbers are with the brightness at 75%.

3. holyindian thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. I'll set my brightness to 75% in that case.

Is there an automated way (like in windows) to set the rMBP to be on 100% when connected via charger, and 75% when off the charger?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't know that it goes from 100 to 75, but there is this option in the Energy Saver pane to dim when on battery power.

[​IMG]