Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Yes..woop. Nothing particularly revolutionary about that. It's just been a bit slow coming. *shrugs* Never felt the need for it anyway. it sits in my pocket all the time, so i don't give much of a damn how bright the screen is, unless it' so bright that it's showing through my jeans o.0

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
barnacle said:
what? did i miss something,, again? what brightness control?

Alongside the announcement that the screens on the latest iPods are brighter, it was also announced that there is a screen brightness control in the latest software. It's primarily for the benefit of watching videos on the full size iPod 5G or 5.5G or whatever we're calling it. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
abeyk said:
Finally!! I love it saves a lot of battery live. why did it take so long? :confused:

My guess is that this latest iPod didn't even originally have it, but was slated to get a brighter backlight from the beginning. Then, they started doing focus groups and people started complaining that the new backlight was too bright.

The same thing sort of happened with a lot of PDAs and handhelds. My Axim lives on the lowest brightness setting. Which is close to the max of my iBook. I know too that a lot of people reported that they keep their Nintendo DS units near the lowest backlight level.

So basically I think it just started becoming an issue as the small backlight technology got brighter and brighter. I hope we get to the day soon where what happened with my Axim happens with notebooks. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.