Brightness im Series 2 vs Series 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by and 4096 others like this, Apr 28, 2018.

1. and 4096 others like this macrumors member

and 4096 others like this

Hello,

I have AW Series 2 nad today I’ve been watching Series 3 in market. When I compared my own AW Series 2 with AW Series 3 I noticed that Series 3 have more vivid colors and brightness is higher (I would say ~15%).

I know both watches have same display, so was it because of same demo mode on AW Series 3? Have anyone of you faced with something like this?

I have autobrightness turned off.

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Apple Store demos are always on peak brightness unless someone has actively turned the brightness down.

Additionally, modern Apple devices, from Apple Watches all the way up to Macs, require auto-brightness to be switched on to reach peak brightness. Apple did this because their screens kept getting brighter and thus use more power at peak brightness.

This means that even if the device is on 100% brightness in settings, peak brightness will only be achieved in sufficiently bright light, which generally means sunlight.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re not being specific enough of which model, which is also a significant factor as well. The aluminum model with the Ion-X Glass greatly reduces the reflectivity the stainless model has due to the Sapphire display. So it _can_ depend which model you’re specifically looking at, as the display on the aluminum model may appear more Stark and bright compared to the stainless model.

Also, the lighting in the store can also play a role and how the display may seem much brighter than it really is, which others have mentioned that the Apple Watch displays and iPhone displays are brighter in store because of the overhead lighting.

4. SoYoung macrumors 6502a

Are you serious ? I can understand they do this for the watch because the battery is small, but if they control the brightness even if you set auto-brightness off on newer iphones and macs is a major step back for me and I'll serously consider purchasing another phone than the iphone next time, same thing for the Macs.

Why making screens brighter and brighter, let you set it up on the control center only to find out that you can't control it anymore no matter what.

They should remove brightness setings on the watch as well because I set it to the max and its always on the lowest setting when I look at it.

5. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

I think you're getting hung up on something which really isn't important. Apple caps max brightness for the manual setting so that people won't whack the brightness up to max, keep it there ALL the time, and then run down their batteries in short order (and proceed to whine endlessly on forums that their device runs out of juice in an hour, not realizing it was their own fault.)

Also, the backlight LEDs age more the harder they burn, which means their max brightness and color spectra will shift over time. So there's a longevity aspect involved as well.

With auto brightness enabled one can assume that the periods where the screen burns power at max setting will also be compensated for by periods where it can dim the screen, thus ideally creating a reasonable average power draw.

This sentence literally makes no sense whatsoever. You start off saying auto brightness on the watch is a good thing because the battery is small, then you announce you manually set brightness to max, and want to remove auto brightness?

How about: no.

6. SoYoung macrumors 6502a

Its just the way he explain it, it was like the brightness of new apple product is like the apple watch where auto brightness is always on no matter what.

And yes I can understand why they do it for the watch but it doesnt mean they can't include an option to disable it. The screen is way to dimmed for my taste on my watch even on max brightness.

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Slight correction. The Apple Watch uses an (active/direct) OLED panel so there is no backlight LEDs used.

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The reality is that just like there is the "close every app to save battery life" brigade, there is also the "leave the brightness on max and never change it" bunch. And personally I would rather not have 1000 nits of brightness on someone's wrist in the cinema.

9. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Apple isn't much for including obscure options that only affect a few people (unless it's accessibility features, which would make sense), especially not ones that will kill your battery life if enabled... Seriously, with backlight on full burn on my iphone 7, it draws as much as upwards of 1% battery a minute just casually browsing the web. It'd be even worse if running anything processing intensive, like a game for example.

Hm, as a user of the original generation watch with its ~400 nits OLED screen and auto brightness enabled (because battery life is poor enough as it is), I'm doing quite well. It's hard to see the screen under strong sunlight, but then again that is true with LCD as well.

Technical reasons cap out max brightness with OLED anyway; the materials available to us just don't allow much beyond around 1000 nits right now and even then the panel draws a lot of power at full glare, and then there's longevity concerns as well. You run the display full blast every time it lights up you're going to wear your watchface into the OLED panel sooner or later. Is it really worth it?

The guy also talked about the mac, which does use LED backlights, as well as iphone which also uses LED backlights for the most part, hence my language.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

None of which has anything to do with you directly prior your reference an OLED display, which does NOT use LED backlights. You were incorrect with your information.

Hence: