Brightness is OFF in Final Cut

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mac4lifeOG, Feb 6, 2012.

1. mac4lifeOG macrumors newbie

Took raw video files. Exported them in mpeg streamclip using Apple Intermediate Codec

I took into Final Cut and the video seemed darker than original. Exported to H.264 Apple Intermediate Codec and the final file came out with original brightness, etc.

This is the original: iwodapparel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Screen-shot-20...

This is the final cut file: iwodapparel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Screen-shot-20...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. simsaladimbamba

What are "raw" video files? Are they from a RED One or RED Epic?
    Or what camera did you actually use?

Which Final Cut version; FCE, FCP 6, 7, X, ...?

H.264 and Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) are two different codecs, the first is for delivery and the second is for editing.

3. mac4lifeOG thread starter macrumors newbie

Shot with Canon 5d MK II
    Installed EOS plugin to Final Cut 7.03

Just tried using Log and Transfer with PRO RES 422(LT)

Same issues. The file does not match the original .mov shot from camera. If I export this from final in any format, brightness then matches original file.

4. simsaladimbamba

How did you compare the H.264 source file and the ProRes file? In the same player?

Have you tried 5DtoRGB yet? It even can be used with this script in a batch function. It is a bit slower than MPEG Streamclip, but well worth it.
    But know, that the video will be a bit brighter afterwards, especially the dark parts, though I haven't seen any additional noise.

Anyway, it probably has to do with the gamma shift H.264 files are a bit notorious about.