Brightness issue: using Boot Camp is like staring into the sun

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Drewbonics, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Drewbonics macrumors newbie

Hi there :)
    Ever since I installed Boot Camp (Win7, 64-bit), the brightness has been extremely high. However, when I use the brightness slider in Control Panel, as well as the brightness buttons on my keyboard, it does nothing! You can move it up and down, but the brightness stays exactly the same.

I did a bit of Googling and found a post somewhere about what seemed to be the same issue, which they corrected with an application called "Desktop Lighter". I tried it out, and it works for about half a second, and then the brightness goes right back to where it was (Using Desktop Lighter, it seems to be stuck at about 70%).

Does anyone have any ideas? My iMac is in a less-than-well-lit basement, so using Boot Camp (especially at night) is physically painful.

All help is appreciated! :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you load the bootcamp drivers from apple? I had this issue until I installed the drivers.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

In Windows, check the settings for Adaptive Brightness. I had the exact opposite problem as you and this is where I solved my issue. Maybe you can figure out yours in the same place.

4. Drewbonics thread starter macrumors newbie

maflynn:
    I'm pretty sure I did this when I installed Boot Camp, but now I'm not sure...
    Would this be the proper one if I were to try and install the drivers again?

SandboxGeneral:
    I just tried it and it didn't work :( Thanks, though.

5. Drewbonics thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I installed the drivers, and everything now works peachy! :) I guess I forgot to install them before (whoopsie daisy :p) Thanks for the help! :D

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well, at least it was something easy to fix!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I couldn't figure it out myself but once I installed the drivers I was golden :D

8. malware1 macrumors newbie

I had the same issue on Windows 8.1 and updating the graphics driver in the device manager helped.