Brightness issue with update

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TaylorB, Apr 8, 2015.

1. TaylorB macrumors regular

Hello all

I use my phone on full brightness all the time because that is my personal preference. After this update I noticed that the top of my screen looks like the backlight has gone out. I have read from previous updates that this has happened for some people and they have fiddled with turning on auto-brightness, doing a hard restart and all of that. I have tried every combination and still my screen looks like the top half backlight has gone out whereas it looks almost normal at the bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

The best way to test if this is a software issue is to (temporarily) restore your iPhone as new. These are the steps you should take:

1. Plug in your iPhone to iTunes and create a backup (File > Devices > Backup)

2. Transfer your purchases to iTunes (File > Devices > Transfer Purchases)

3. Use the restore button in iTunes and wait for the process to finish.

4. When it finishes iTunes will ask if you want to set up as new or restore a backup. Choose "set up as new".

5. Get to the home screen on the iPhone and see if the issue is still there.

6. If not, then in iTunes click the "Restore Backup" button and choose the backup you made in Step 1.

7. If the issue is still there after Step 5, then the issue is likely hardware related.

3. TaylorB thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I'm trying this now.

4. deviant macrumors 65816

may i ask you how do you always use your phone on max brightness? i'm beginning to think i have a problem with my eyes because setting brightness to max completely kills my eyes

5. TaylorB thread starter macrumors regular

I always use max brightness and it doesn't bother me. If I'm in a dark room or in a vehicle I just use the triple home button tap to dim temporarily.

----------

Thank you for the suggestion, although this didn't solve the issue. I will make an appointment as soon as I have time next week. I don't see anyone else having this issue which makes me wonder how they will treat the issue in store or if I would have better luck with AppleCare.

6. TaylorB thread starter macrumors regular

Brightness issue with update

Ok, can someone explain this to me?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429264769.229184.jpg

The image used to be fully bright as my home screen, since 8.3 there is a shader put over it. When adjusting the size/zoom if you play around it flickers but either light or darker version show as dark on home screen. I've tried this for other custom wallpapers that have white and it is the same issue on about half that have a true white background. Whereas you choose an Apple paper that has a true bright background and it works just fine.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429264859.164817.jpg

7. TaylorB thread starter macrumors regular

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue or has any idea what this could be. Apple Store didn't have any information on why it would be different.

8. TaylorB thread starter macrumors regular

After speaking with Apple Support for about an hour, I was told there is no fix for this. It has to do with the automatic shading that was changed in 8.3. It is supposed to be a benefit but it cannot be toggled.

9. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

After a couple of minutes, I understand what you are saying. Yes, this is a trouble, especially for those with dark point and bright main color, or bright point with dark main color.

This issue may be solved if homescreen app name can change with current wallpaper color, not the whole one.

This is of course not possible to fix now, but this might be fixed in the future version of software.