Brightness messed up?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bobright, Sep 17, 2014.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Is it just me or when sliding the brightness the screen will look darker than it actually is? I let go of the slider adjuster and it's NOT as dark as it is when I'm adjusting. So annoying.

2. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

Yeah I see that too. Thought it was just my eyes lol

3. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

When you touch the brightness slider it's showing the resulting brightness.

When you let go of the slider it reverts to the dimmed brightness in control center. Previously the dimmed brightness would hinder you from knowing what the actual brightness has been set to without closing control center.

It's a weird workaround I guess.

4. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

It's done like that on purpose :)
    Swiping the cc up darkens the rest of the screen, while the cc remains the same. When you adjust the brightness, it adjusts the entire screen (including the top part which is darker), so you can get a good idea of what your brightness level will look like.

In iOS 7 it didn't do that, so whatever brightness level you picked, ended up being a bit darker (when you closed the cc), which annoyed lots of people:p

5. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I noticed this too about the brightness, scroll up all the way and it's bright but let it go and it goes dimmer (still bright but not as bright as when you are still holding the scroll all the way up)

It's weird because I thought for some reason my screen doesn't seem as bright as iOS7 and then I noticed the scroll got brighter until I let it go then it went dimmer. I need to test this tomorrow in the bright sun because if it doesn't scroll up to the brightest (like it did on iOS7) then there might be a problem in IOS8 with the brightness.

Also it doesn't matter if you check auto brightness or uncheck it, the scroll still works the same let it go and it dims back slightly. It's weird.

6. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

I guess I got so used to it. It's weird to see it change. People will get used to it

7. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

That's why you've got to love these damn forums because you get people that can explain things like this...when I couldn't even figure out what exactly it was about the brightness adjust in cc that was bothering me. Thanks!

8. gpspad macrumors 6502

Tried this and it works, but ever since installing IOS8, my 5s with auto dimming seems dimmer than usual. I know you can turn it up manually, but maybe the auto dimming is more conservative and trying to save power?

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

After upgrading to 8 both my iPad Air units and my 5S the brightness was set to the lowest level. Strange.

AUto dimming is better in my opinion