Brightness NOT automatic?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blurb23, Jan 21, 2009.

1. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I have the automatic brightness setting enabled, but the backlight constantly stays at what the slider is set to.

For example, last night, I wanted to watch a movie in a dark room. Even with the auto setting, the brightness stayed at half way on the slider. So I put it down the whole way.

But when I'm using it now, in a brightly lit room, the backlight is still at it's lowest setting.

I tried powering off and restarting it, but to no avail. Anyone know what's up?

(1st gen, 8GB)

2. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I have noticed the same behavior, I do not think it adjusts. I have an 8gb 1 gen.

3. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone know how to go about correcting this?

One thing I've noticed though, is that when I toggle the Auto switch, the screen slightly dims.

4. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I have the same problem with my iPod touch. For example, I was in my room with no lights and the screen was at full brightness. I don't think the sensor is strong enough. People who have an iPhone are also having the same problem.

5. GoSUV macrumors member

Mine works without issues. It doesn't adjust "immediately" but with noticeable response.

Do you have a protective case? Maybe it's blocking the light sensor somewhere. I don't know where the sensor is located, probably on the top centre. Remove the case and bring it from a dark location to a bright room and see if the brightness level changes itself. It should within a few seconds.

6. 11800506 macrumors 65816

What I had always assumed was that the auto-brightness didn't adjust absolute brightness, but more relative brightness. For example, the screen will be darker when entering into a dark room with the brightness set all the way down as opposed to the slider set to the middle. When you go into a brighter room the brightness will increase, but it will all be relative to what the slider is set at.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

it changes, but not that much. as said it is relative you still control it for the most part unlike on macs, but it does do minor adjustments.

8. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aha, so I can't expect it to mirror the functions of my MBP?

9. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Nup, my iPod touch is 'naked'. :D If you put the iPod touch under a strong light (or even outside when it's sunny), you will see a small red dot above the screen, towards the centre.