Brightness of the new models

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wiehazy, Sep 1, 2012.

1. wiehazy macrumors newbie

Hey together,

ive a question about the new models of the pros and airs. Is it right that the 2012er are dimmer with the max brightness compared to the 2011 models?

Its very important to me, and every experience would help me. :)

thanks!

2. flipnap macrumors 6502

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

more pixels/inch = more stuff gets in the way of light = dimmer display

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The 2012 Retina Macbook Pro is a bit dimmer because of the higher pixel density.

The 2012 non-retina Macbook Pro and the 2012 Macbook Air are unchanged from the 2011 models as far as the display goes.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You would think so, but it turns out the pixels themselves are what actually let through the light from the backlight.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

But because of limitations in how small we can make the 'stuff' besides the pixels, basically the structure and circuitry, a higher pixel density display usually ends up with a lower percentage of it's total area devoted to pixels letting light through.

That's why the iPad 3 had to have a bigger backlight and thus a larger battery.

7. flipnap macrumors 6502

Actually, ips displays use two transistors on each side of the crystal,blocking more light, which require brighter backlights, hence the need for bigger batteries.

8. wiehazy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the answers.
    im thinking about to return my MBPr. (im still in the 14 days) but i need help for the descision.
    i compared the MBPr with the 2012 MBPc (at an apple store) and i ive seen nothing different in the max brightness, thats why i thought the 2012 MBPc are dimmer too.
    the problem is, i love the Retina-Display, but as im working with ive always the feeling it should be one click brighter.
    What would you do? Could Mountain Lion change the brightness a bit? (im still on Lion, but as you know the upgrade is for free)
    greets

9. flipnap macrumors 6502

Make sure your brightness is up. Itll go down to 70 percent on battery if you dont set it not to. The cmbp is brighter than retina. If you cant used to the retina screen it wont get better until new hardware. I could be wrong but i seriously doubt software can or will make the screen brighter.

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

my point exactly :)