Brightness of the screen ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by XPcentric, May 1, 2011.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

guys, I want to know if the following is possible:
    although i set the brightness to minimum, in the morning I find it useful to dim the brightness even lower, for example when I switch the widgets button, it makes the bright dimmer, which is perfect. Is there an application or settings to do that ?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im afraid I don't really understand your post. You set the brightness on you mac to its lowest setting in the morning and want to make it lower?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

To phrase the original question another way: Is it possible to adjust the brightness in smaller increments than the "normal methods" for adjusting it allow?

4. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

yes you are right, its the right way to say it. Basically, I did not set it to lowest brightness which is 0, but I set it to 1 unit. I want to set it a little lower than 1 unit, not completely 0, I've seen some apps like dimmer than dim, but can only be downloaded through Mac App Store which works only on Snow Leopard unfortunately.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dimmer-than-dim/id418816854?mt=12

The effect is similar to using gadget view, the screen gets a little dimmer.

5. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

That's the brilliance behind the Mac App Store.

It gives Apple the perfect place to sell Special Apps that only work on certain versions of OS X.

What a terrific money maker for Apple.

6. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried to download it via another system using Snow Leopard but it was not enough to have latest OSX, now they ask for credit card details. that sucks! anyway apple lost me as client for the mobile phones battle, Android has a better chance for me in the near future, and I'm still satisfied with Symbian.

too much control is not good for geeks!

7. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Why don't you just go to system preferences/displays menu?

8. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Wasn't there some key combo for incrementing or decrementing the brightness in smaller steps? Shift-Alt + the brightness buttons, or something

9. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Yep, the Shift+alt+brightness keys let you make adjustments 1/4 of a unit at a time.

10. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

It doesn't work below the first bar though, the brightness stays the same.

11. sine-nomine macrumors regular

That's interesting - it does seem to dim my screen even below the first bar, but it's barely noticeable. When I tried it last night, my room was dark, I had no windows open, and my desktop background was a very dark blue, so I'm wondering if the difference I saw was actually just due to having a little quarter of a square more showing up in the brightness indicator itself, lol.