Brightness on 1st generation macbook diminishing?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sharyn, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Sharyn macrumors newbie

I have a first generation macbook pro and it appears as though the screen is not as bright as it once was. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is a bad feature of this generation of backlighting, and its one that will be fixed with LED backlighting.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Well, it depends on how much dimmer we're taking about. The CFL tube that most laptops use for backlighting will dim over time, but if its seriously dark, then it may be a failing backlight rather than normal age-related dimming.
    Consider comparing it with a newer machine and posting a pic, or even taking it to an Apple genius.

My daughter uses a 1st gen MacBook with a lot of hours on it and its not really dim at all for a machine of its age.

4. CobyL macrumors newbie

I have had my Macbook for nearly three years, and it is used constantly. My screen isn't dimming any yet. (Knock on wood!)

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I thought the same thing with my iBook, until I put it next to a newer computer.

It dimmed, significantly. It's just a very gradual process, and I adjusted as it was happening; I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with yours as well =\

Edit: To the OP, unfortunately, it's "normal" for that to happen with CCFL backlit panels, the bulbs wear out over time and become less bright.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006