All iPads Brightness on ipad mini Retina

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lambo The Jambo, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Lambo The Jambo macrumors member

Lambo The Jambo

So I recently received my ipad mini retina. I had slight concerns with the lack of brightness of the screen but this only became really apparent to me when comparing it to the screen of the air.

When comparing the two machines it seems that the mini retina can only achieve around 70% of the brightness of the air. Is this normal?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't have an air, so I can't comment on your question but let me ask this.

Is your rMini bright enough for you, regardless of how it compares to the air? I run mine about 50% brightness and that's more then enough, that was the same I had with the original mini and my iPhone 5.

3. Lambo The Jambo thread starter macrumors member

Lambo The Jambo

Well put question. Yes I guess it's bright enough I just now feel let down that it's not as bright as it could be..... Or perhaps should be.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The air and mini are two different beasts and I think the screen technology, back lighting and form factor may all be mitigating factors on why the brightness is different on a mini then an air. I wouldn't take the difference as a negative, but rather just a difference - provided the mini is working for you.

5. Lambo The Jambo thread starter macrumors member

Lambo The Jambo

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No problem, I guess my perspective is that if great for you, then don't look for issues :)

7. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

I've owned most of the models of iPad and my wife has an iPad 2 and an iPad mini. My Retina iPan mini is fine, brightness and clarity, colour saturation, you name it, it's fine. It's also hardly different in weight and size (still fits my old case). My only complaint is the price. Here in the UK you could buy a couple of old cars for what the 128GB cost me! Oh, and the delivery status on Apple's store page was hopeless having no change for two weeks, then came a knock at the door!

In the household we've decided to reconcile our iPads and will keep my iPad Mini retina 128GB, and an Ipad 3 64GB and Ipad Mini 64GB for my wife. The iPad 2 32Gb is on ebay and the iPad Mini 32GB goes to one of my sons for Christmas. So, as far as iPads are concerned, my family is highly satisfied will all models.

(I am quite bored with the ongoing similar iPhone design and might go elsewhere for an alternative smartphone).

8. Lambo The Jambo thread starter macrumors member

Lambo The Jambo

Hello I actually got mine from Argos here in the uk who were super quick in comparison with apple. Seems like iPads are holding up your house foundations.

9. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Got mine very quickly from Tesco delivered to my local store last week and £30 off.

No problems with it whatsoever except I find it a little disappointing compared to my Air. It just looks a bit dull, no Wow factor. Many posts here have mentioned the screen difference between the two iPads and I can only agree.

I've just ordered the 7" Kindle Fire HDX from Amazon as they have a £30 off one-day special on today. I had the original HD until last week and quite liked it. Very vibrant screen and I believe the HDX is even better. May keep both!

10. Lambo The Jambo thread starter macrumors member

Lambo The Jambo

Thanks, ye it's the slight dullness I was a little concerned about. Clearly it's just a little sacrifice I have to make for the extra portability.