Brightness? Optimal battery settings?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spinit14, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Spinit14 macrumors member

What do you guys set your brightness to? What are some things I should know or do to get the most out of the battery? How long on average does your charge last?

13" rMBP/8gb/256gb

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

On AC power I set it to max brightness. On battery, I set it to 10% and lock the CPU at 800 MHz. Battery life with my worn, old battery on a 36 watt hour charge and the low CPU setting is about 2.5 hours.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life, and screen brightness is a major one. To maximize your battery life, keep the screen brightness as low as you can and still see the screen well. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. Spinit14 thread starter macrumors member

5. romesk90 macrumors member

what are you using/doing to lock the CPU in at that speed?

6. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I normally set apmd to run in cool mode, which lowers hw.setperf to 800 MHz unless idle time falls below 10%, in which case it raises it as much as necessary. I don't believe this is possible in OS X.