Brightness rMBP 2012-2014

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deppdudepp, Oct 11, 2014.

1. deppdudepp macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I had a rMBP 15 inch Mid 2012 where I loved the screen brightness. I always used it on maximum brightness and was happy with it.

Recently I upgraded to the Mid 2014 rMBP. Unfortunately, it is much dimmer then the 2012 and I wish my old one back...

Apparently I have a LG display.

Is there anything I can do? Return or exchange and hope for a Samsung display?

Additionally, the 2014 fan is much "louder" than the 2012. The fan is on much more often and/or louder... :-(

2. Anitramane macrumors 6502

3. deppdudepp thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Atomic Walrus, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

In general you'll use more energy to produce the same brightness on a higher density screen. There are newer technologies (like IGZO) that allow for increased brightness at these densities without using more power, but so far this hasn't come to the rMBP.

Some of the early IGZO screens apparently had uniformity issues (I'm specifically thinking of the the Dell XPS 15 from last year), but Anandtech's recent review of the Razer Blade 14 shows very positive display results. Of course their test unit wasn't significantly brighter than the rMBP, so I'm thinking that some brightness hit may frequently be a trade made for excellent out of the box calibration.

Because of how LCD calibration works it's not impossible that the rMBP screen could actually go brighter without its factory calibration, however the overall accuracy would suffer.

5. deppdudepp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. But I do not care about energy! I just want a super bright screen! At least as bright as my rMBP Mid 2012! It was available in 2012, why shouldn't be it possible in 2014?!?

Are there any tools to "overrule" the max setting?

Cheers

6. zjazz macrumors 6502

Actually exactly the same situation with me. I had the very first MBPR with Samsung screen and it was a flawless machine, and recently bought 2014 and noticed screen is a bit dimmer. Checked manufacture and it's LG. Was kind of disappointed that its not a Samsung but nothing is wrong with the screen, checked everything and it's flawless. Went ahead and calibrated it, and after calibration it is much brighter, and actually now I like LG screen more because the contrast looks much nicer than Samsung. Now I'm 4 clicks lower than max, where on my old one I was only two clicks down. So it's not only the brightness, but the clarity and contrast is better on LG. These new LG screens are really good if you get the one without flaws such as uneven ar coating, or partly yellowing spots, or image retention- all of these things could be on Samsung screen too, so both needs to be tested....

7. deppdudepp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks zjazz,

Can you tell me how you calibrated your display so you got it as bright as the rMBP2012?

I am considering to return this device...

8. MattBP macrumors member

I consider going back to my 2011 17" MBP because it was so much brighter than my 2014 retina

9. deppdudepp thread starter macrumors newbie

I would to the same if I have not already sold my old one...

10. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Man, what are you talking about?

The main crux of your argument (it takes more energy to push more light through a higher DPI display) may be true in the abstract, but this is all academic because the OP clearly stated that he was comparing a 15" 2012 RETINA screen to a 15" 2014 RETINA screen. Both of them had the SAME PIXEL DENSITY, but the newer one was dimmer.

I have seen Retina MBP LCDs with varying degrees of max brightness across both manufacturers (Samsung and LG), and it is my contention that the truly dim ones are defective. My advice to the OP is that if you are unhappy with it, ask for a replacement. Also, take it into an Apple Store or authorized Apple reseller and set yours next to a display model, and compare the brightness of your screen to the ones on display. That will tell you if you are imagining things or not and if you aren't then you can use the comparison as a way to prove your point to the Genius.

-- Nathan

11. mcarling macrumors 65816

How to make the screen dimmer?

I often use my rMBP at night and I find that the dimmest setting is still too bright to work comfortably in a dark room. Is there any way to dim it further?

12. Praesto macrumors regular

This thread is hilarious because I actually have the same problem from both ends of the spectrum.

The maximum brightness is not bright enough
    The minimum brightness is too bright at night

The marginal increase/decrease from each is very minimal from the visual perspective (I assume it is set to be percentage base and therefore steady as you use each click)

That being said I wish they would reduce the minimum by 2 clicks, and make it double the current brightness click wise.

So right now I think there are 16 possible settings? It would be nice if they added one on the lower end but also dropped the 16 into 8 and add a few more on.

Nonetheless , the machine is great.

13. Heartex macrumors newbie

I just got 2014 15 in rMPB and have experienced the SAME thing as zjazz. I came from a 2012 rMBP with samsung screen and it was bright and a cooler white than this new rMBP with LG screen. I was so disappointed because in 2012 LG was a big problem and no one wanted them. When I got this one last week the most immediate thing was the brightness. I still have my 2012 and side by side it was incredible how much brighter the samsung was. I was so use to the brightness that I was not sure I could deal with the LG screen.
    But to my surprise after calibrating it and experimenting with other color profiles I really like the LG better. It has what the op said, better contrast and richer colors. I just had to get use to it not being as bright. I still have them side by side comparing them and I am pleased with the LG screen.
    I think I had to overcome all the past bad reviews on Macrumors from people hating their screen on past models. I think LG has definitely improved their screens. It still is on the warmer color than my cool white white samsung but it is more soothing to the eyes. Anyway good tho know others think the same thing.

14. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Actually the late 2013 rMBP's shipped with brighter screens than the first gen 2012 models. Sounds like something is wrong with yours.

No. But there are tools for adjusting the warmth of the display which can help at night. -> f.lux