Brightness

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dread, Mar 18, 2012.

?

Does the brightness of your screen dim slightly when viewed from an angle?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    77.2%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. dread macrumors 6502a

I noticed the brightness of my iPad changes slightly when I view it for different angles. My iPad 2 didn't do this and I'm wondering if this is normal with the new screen. Let me be clear of what I am seeing. When I view the iPad from off center the brightness of the screen becomes darker but colors stay the same. It is more noticeable on white backgrounds when the brightness of the screen is set to 50% or below. It is also more extreme when tilting the top of the ipad back in portrait mode then if doing the same in landscape. I know I am being anal here but I used to love that the iPad 2 screen would not change at all when viewed from any angle. This is definitely not the case with my new iPad

2. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it seems that most are seeing the same and this is not worth a return.

3. number84 macrumors 6502

Also noticed overall the brightness is much lower than the previous versions at the middle setting.

4. turbotoes macrumors regular

I get the dimming effect; It seems the viewing angles are not as good as on my iPad 1, the overall brightness is lower, though I don't think that is a bad thing.

The one thing that bugs me, is that the brightness on the lock screen is higher than on the home screen. It is a pain when you start the iPad in low light as it does make your eyeballs scream (well, mine anyway)

5. gatearray macrumors 65816

Check the auto brightness, I find it to be a lot more sensitive than it was on the iPad 2.

Also, I noticed that the OP says that it "didn't" do this on his iPad 2, suggesting its no longer around to compare... I'm guessing that you sold yours to fund the purchase of the new iPad like I sold mine! :)

Anyway, I attribute this brightness issue of the screen to the fact that it is not optically laminated like it is on the iPhone 4, and the display has some space between it and the glass. I noticed this on the iPad 2 and in my opinion, this darkening effect on the new iPad is no different.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

All of the iPad 3 screens will show the same effect. No need in returning your device.

Try to relax and enjoy your device and stop looking for things wrong with it.

7. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Agreed. 90% of the time I was using my iPad 2 it was at 10%. The new one is too dim until you hit about 40%.

8. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah your right but for some reason it really annoys me. I'm surprised none of the reviewers noted this. I guess they have their noses so far up Apple's ass they didn't notice.

Yes my iPad 2 is sold so I cannot compare directly, but I would often marvel at the iPad 2's screen and how it would not washout at all from any angle. I wonder if this is the result of having the pixels on different levels as Apple notes in their promo material. In any case it appears to be normal for the retina display.