Brilliant idea for a website (i think anyway lol)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jackmileshunt, Feb 18, 2009.

1. jackmileshunt macrumors member

Hi, maybe i could use this as both an assistance call and a general discussion point.

Basically i am a dance music lover; i live and breathe dance music & DJ culture (being a bedroom DJ). There is a brilliant website that enables underground producers to upload their works as a free media for the listening pleasure of others. I thought that it would be killer if i could do the same for DJ's; enabling them to upload their "mix-tapes" for the benefit of others, and possibly giving underground DJ's a chance to make a break.

Here comes the bit that makes me sigh; i am only familiar with basic PHP and MYSQL, so please any ideas / input / help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
    J.M.Hunt

2. jackmileshunt thread starter macrumors member

3. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

Sure, that includes myself.

I think you can see it is relatively simple - you can set up a site with a Wordpress blog and a hosting service that offers enough bandwidth and storage space...

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I don't think blogging software would work if you want it to be a collective, collaborative website. You'll need a forum setup or something where members can talk back and forth and share openly.

...in any case you'll need to be patient until enough (active) members join up and make it a place worth hanging out at.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Look into Joomla and Drupal which have means of adding blogs, interactive forums and of course content management all under one engine with one integrated login. This is what's called a "portal". Those and other open source PHP based CMS's can be researched and tested online here:

http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=1&cat=CMS / Portals

-jim

6. jackmileshunt thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks everybody, as it goes i did some research on Joomla the other day, and have started the site, i cant believe how easily and quickly it is coming together. I found a nice little module called DOCman.

Thanks once again

7. epyfa macrumors regular

OT: Did you do your Avatar on your own? How is this effect called?