Brilliant new Audi ad

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mfacey, Jan 8, 2009.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

5. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

I'm pretty sure the date is written in dd/mm/yyyy format, which makes it 4th december!

Anyway I saw this the other day and was fairly impressed, car adverts are usually the best.

6. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I like this ad! It was cute!
    The Audi is very nice. I plan on making a goal to buy one one day. It's a hard decision between the A4 or the A6.
    But the only thing that is holding me back is onhow many people tell me they are "repair hogs". :(

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is awesome. To be honest I was a little sad when the cardboard car turned into the real thing :eek:.

8. TSE macrumors 68030

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's rather simple. The white cardboard box at the start is an allusion to the world we live in today. Harsh corners, dry, reinforced, sterile, featureless white. A world that hems us in with little chance for escape. The 'man' trapped within the box is all of us. It's humanity. How we're trapped within the confines of our synthetic world - we're able to move around in our environ but are unable to move beyond it's confines. I think they relay the imagery with a certain stark reality that is meant to shock and challenge us to our core.

But it isn't all bleak imagery. As he fashions the box into the audi we're reminded of the tenacity, enterprise, and initiative of man. The vision and astounding capacity we all possess to take something oft overlooked and turn it into something versatile and of immense value - if we listen and are driven by the needs of those around us. Another word for "listen" is "hark", which in German translates to "Horch", the latin derivation of which is the root of "Audi".

The advert is actually a rather simple allegory if you've done film appreciation as I have. You just need to reverse-engineer the visuals and reconstruct the storyboard in your mind. Not really - there's nothing to 'get'. It's just a cute and clever short of a simple character changing a box into a car!

10. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

...which is yet another 4x4/SUV which the world and the car industry doesn't need right now? :confused: :rolleyes:

Nice advert though.

Yes, I did read your hidden disclaimer ; - )