Bring 24'' iMac from US to Shanghai - Mail or take on plabe?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theMaccer, Dec 11, 2008.

1. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Just couple of quick questions -
    Due to job change, I will have to relocate to Shanghai from US, and I was thinking of bringing my 24'' iMac along with me.

1) I heard in China the voltage is 220V and it is 110V here in the US. Will it cause any problems for my iMac?

2) Should I mail the iMac or should I bring it with my on the plane?

Thanks for any input.

2. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I think your going to need a different power supply, or an adapter to plug your power supply into.

that is a pretty drastic job change to have to move from the us to Shanghai

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Check the paperwork that came with your iMac, in all liklihood the power supply is multi-voltage. (as many switching supplies are this way nowadays)

I'd vouch for bringing it yourself - but with a 24" er - that's bordering the big side. (if that won't be able to fit on the planes overhead compartments - I'd seriously avoid giving it to the baggage gorillas)

If shipping, you can get it insured, on the other hand.

Make sure you don't violate any export compliance laws with Apple, Intel, or the US Govt. ;)

Edit: HOUSTON to Shanghai? You must wear the big ole' Texan hat and belt buckle. Take pictures, I want to see reaction photos. :)

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

What's a plabe? Is it some new-fangled alternative to taking traibs or sgips?

5. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

Waaaaaa Waaaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! followed but the drums after a corny joke.

6. descartes macrumors 6502

someone had a similar question a few months back. there was discussion about taking off the stand to make it fit in the overhead. also special cases for transporting imacs.