Bring airdrop on iphone 4s

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by stelios7, Sep 13, 2013.

1. stelios7 macrumors newbie

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

3. stelios7 thread starter macrumors newbie

specs is the same with ipad mini which i getting it. when jailbreak come we will sure see a tweak for that, just like siri on iph4

4. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

The 4S doesn't have the same wifi specs (the 5 and 5s are 2x faster), so I guess it's possible but it would be a lot slower.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It's not just the WiFi speed, it's that AirDrop uses WiFi Direct, which is not on the chip in the 4S. Therefore, it's just not technically possible.

6. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Like the last comment, it is a hardware limitation. Though, it is one of the reasons I was surprised Apple decided to keep the 4S around for another year. I know AirDrop will be one of the highlights of new iPhones in ads, I just think it will sell iPhones, especially to the younger crowd.

7. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Completely different wifi chipset.

They might have been able to hack it to work with more cpu/batt. overhead or instable. But Apple wouldn't implement something thats half assed in that manor. Generally all or nothing for them.

8. stooovie macrumors 6502a

They would have to depend on existing wifi network, which is cumbersome. AirDrop creates it's own peer-to-peer, direct Wifi network. And for that, you need dedicated hardware that simply isn't present in older devices.

So no, not possible. That's why there's no Airdrop capability between an iDevice and Macs (although given the macs are usually connected to existing network, it would make a little more sense).