Bring back dark notifications

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Galacticos, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I think the light grey notifications in iOS 10 are a big mistake visually. Even if the notifications take up the same amount of space, I'd really like to see darkened notifications. Anyone else?

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Not likely to happen and or Change any time soon. I guess Indont have any issues with the grey notifications.

3. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

hi

on my iOS 10 device (iPhone 6s) there are a few widgets that still do have dark mode.
    for example, google Transit (bus, train etc) has dark background.
    Weather Underground widget is also dark background.

on the other hand, Fantastical 2 cal widget did change from the previous iOS dark background to the current iOS 10 light background, as most others have as well.

so, does the above mean that it is the call of the app developer?

thanks

4. vmachiel macrumors 68000

I think everything is the same light color now, so that they can introduce a comprehensive and consistent dark mode when the first OLED phone comes out.

5. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I have no doubt they have made this one rubbish so the next one can be 'the best notification background colour we've ever made'

6. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Well it's not rubbish, it's just not dark anymore (which I prefer as well). It's more about making it consistently white know, so they can introduce something consistently dark next year.

7. Costee macrumors newbie

Costee

Updated app widgets are white. If the app uses the iOS 10 SDK, it will be white.

8. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

thanks.
    so all that a dark background means is that the app was not updated by the developer to conform to iOS 10 standards?

9. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I'd be willing to bet that no focus group returned White as the preference

10. vmachiel macrumors 68000

No, but it's just a color. It's about consistence, be it light or dark. We have light now, we'll have dark next year most likely (OLED iPhone)

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

12. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

I actually like that the new notifications are bright. I used to not notice the screen turn on because of the old dark notification style, but now I notice it every time.

13. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Do they really take up the same amount of space? It seems bigger now to me. I would also like the ability to swipe left and mark my email as read, no I have to peak and pop in order to do it, not sure why they would add an extra step in this case.

14. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

As mentioned elsewhere: the new notification style is for next year's iPhone with an "all-display" front. It would have been not looking good with notifications spanning across the whole front like the pre-iOS-10 style. That's the reason why now all notifications have their own window.

15. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

No the new ones are bigger. I'm saying the size is acceptable but the colouring imho is a bad choice

16. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

It doesn't match the rest of the UI at all.

17. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

THIS! totally didn't think about that! would make sense for Apple to hold back on having anything "darkmode esque" until OLED launches

18. adamneer macrumors 6502

I think the new notifications are a major step back on several fronts:

1st and most importantly they are much harder to read at a glance. Try reading a text notification while driving - MUCH harder when you cannot feasibly devote your full attention to the screen.

2nd - they take up SO much unnecessary room! Why do we need a full window for each one? When I get email notifications from macrumors, I don't need a new box for each email. Why not condense all recent notifications into a single window PER app?

Notifications are supposed to be a non-distracting, quick glance feature. I get that they wanted parity between their other UI, but the beauty of the dark background with light text is that it keeps the screen dim for all the non-essential information. I can only imagine what this switch did to battery life while on standby, since the screen now has to be much brighter every time a notification comes in.

19. Mansu944 macrumors regular

With LCD it doesn't matter...if the screen is in the light is on.

20. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I don't encourage checking text messages while driving at all but I do agree about notifications being non-distracting/quick glance

21. adamneer macrumors 6502

I know it wasn't a great suggestion, given the unnecessary danger it poses, but nevertheless, checking a text quickly is something I think MANY people do, and should be taken into consideration when designing effective notifications. In my car, my phone rests on a magnetic mount on the dash, so inevitably a notification will get my attention. In any case, I mentioned this scenario because it was the one that gave me a very clear example of how much harder these new notifications are to read than the previous ones.

22. weckart macrumors 68040

Not just a terrible example but actually illegal in many if not most countries. In fact, even in your home state of Illinois, it is illegal for all drivers under 19 to use a mobile phone while driving whether mounted or not, so maybe Apple should not take your suggestion into consideration.

Apart from that, the new notifications are just another example Apple's hatred of contrast ever since Ives got free rein over iOS development. I doubt OLED screens will do much to change that.

23. adamneer macrumors 6502

My phone is mounted magnetically to this - http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard...enter-mount-853979-13369.cmsv?p_leftorright=0

As far as I know, it is not illegal to simply LOOK at a phone while driving. It IS illegal in many places to do anything with a phone while holding it, which is not what I suggested anyone try. Where my phone is mounted, glancing at a text on the screen is hardly any different than glancing at the radio, speedometer or the GPS, which is also mounted permanently on my dash.

I'm 32, so I don't see how the under-19 laws have any bearing on what I suggest, but I can't imagine the logic you use by insisting Apple not make notifications easier to read and less distracting. This is the whole purpose of CarPlay - to reduce the distraction of iPhones as much as possible while in the car. To say they should not make something safer to do, simply because people should not be doing it, makes EVERYONE's roadway more hazardous. You may choose to keep your phone neatly tucked away, but I can assure you, many many other people do not.

24. KeanosMagicHat, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

+1

But I'd also like them smaller and manageable by App like they used to be.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    Apple doesn't do Focus Groups as they like to think they always know what's best for us, even if we're completely unaware of it ourselves.

;-)

25. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

The light color sucks and makes it almost impossible to see what a notification says, without picking up my phone.