Bring Back Spaces

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ggg05a, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ggg05a macrumors regular

ggg05a

What the hell was Apple thinking nuking spaces from high earth orbit? Apple took a play out of MSFT's playbook with Mission control. Sure, it looks pretty but its as functional as a PETA chapter in Ethiopia. It would be nice if:

A) You could *actually* see what was open in each window and not a microscopic variant thereof.
    B) You could drag and drop apps between windows

Apple, release something for this, where the user can decide if he or she wants Mission Control or traditional spaces!

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Spaces is still there. It's just different now. I know so many people fear change but come on.

3. ggg05a thread starter macrumors regular

ggg05a

I don't fear change . . . I went from SL --> Lion as soon as I could. Mission Control, as it sits now destroys productivity. I don't see how it is any more productive than Spaces was.

4. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Mate I won't disagree with you.

Actually, I quite like the old spaces..

Just a recommendation... did you feel out Apple Customer feedback...

Would probably be more beneficial than hitting it on here :)

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a million times more productive!! I never used spaces because it felt useless. Mission control let's you see everything and move windows between desktops and create/delete new spaces easily. It also allows flick switching between spaces. I don't understand how a hidden 4 square is better in any way!

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

What can't mission control do that Spaces can?

7. ggg05a thread starter macrumors regular

ggg05a

Spaces spaces were much larger, so it was easy to see what exactly was open in what space. When you've got 13 Word documents open Mission Control makes them all look the same. Moreover, good luck dragging and dropping an open window from one space directly to another without brining it first to the active "space" then sending to a different one.

Much less productive.

8. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Don't really want to get involved into this discussion, but spaces were a tad bigger. Plus expose worked in all spaces rather than in just one.

I don't know.. Just the way I used to do things, (very) subjectively it made more sense with the old spaces/expose combination...

That's really about it...

9. ggg05a thread starter macrumors regular

ggg05a

Good call.

10. trza macrumors newbie

trza

I actually can't even find a feedback form for 10.7. I left some feedback under 10.6.8 anyways and gave my rant about bringing back spaces. this is really crippling power users :\ I am on a production desktop and a macbook multitouch and honestly I'd prefer spaces on both. I cant imagine anyone who got the grasp of them in .5/.6 would disagree.

11. ggg05a thread starter macrumors regular

ggg05a

Completely agree. Between this, and all the mail and heat issues I'm having, this is the worst release in recent memory.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

does mission control only have spaces built in a horizontal row?

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I believe so.

14. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I used Spaces and Expose a lot in SL, however I'm learning to adapt to Mission Control and horizontal spaces. I really like being able to swipe between full screen apps which probably would have been more difficult to implement with the old style spaces. My only gripe is that you can't re-arrange them through MS.

15. orschinger macrumors member

+1

Space actually was one of my favorite things ever on a computer, productivity-wise.

Kept each and every single desktop clean and tidy - i always knew, where to find which app/window plus i could drag and drop whichever window i wanted to be dragged and droppen into another space. oh yeah, and exposé also worked in spaces-view to make the whole overview thing perfect!

want it back now :)

16. gentlefury macrumors 68030

unfortunately that would make you happy, but piss off someone else. I hated spaces and thought it was useless. I'm using MC like crazy!

17. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i'm fine with mission control, i just want to be able to shuffle desktops at the top of the MC window, and PIN THEM WHERE I WANT THEM
    (sorry for shouting)...

18. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I agree with this.

19. scottsjack macrumors 68000

That's one of the reasons I reverted my desktop back to SL. Spaces is so nice and the smooth transitions between virtual screens looks great.

20. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Some of us don't fear change. We do however fear change for change sake when it replaces real quality with prettied up crapola.

21. Gomff macrumors 6502a

There's plenty about Lion I don't really like but spaces doesn't annoy me like some people, largely because I use it in the same way in both SL and Lion...ie, I have each space assigned to a ctrl + number key so I can get to any one in a keystroke.