Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Without the white, the iPod isn't really the iPod anymore....just another mp3 player.
But now every 'other' MP3 player comes in white...
zvm.png
zune-gadget-30gb-digital-media-player-white.jpg

360x360_toys_mp3_creativeZenVPlus.gif
sony_nwa808_21.jpg

...the white look has been done to death.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Don't forget the Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Mac Mini, and AppleTV. I do think white is on is way out, though. At least for a while. Change is a good thing, in a few years we'll look back at the white products and think it's dated.

My white iMac already does like really dated in comparison to my new alu one.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I agree. My white iMac doesn't look as sharp as the new alu iMac. I think the alu look gives the products a very new-age industrial look which all look amazing.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'm sold on the Alu look for the iMac, but the iPods definitely look better in white. I may be biased on the iPod because the white is what I have but I've only had the Alu iMac for a couple days and I've never liked the white look. Maybe it's TOO much white...

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
this is a joke, right? Apple's trying to become a greener, more sustainable company. White plastic requires the use of petroleum fuels (oil... the stuff gas is made from) to make and has little recycling value. Aluminum is stronger, sexier and its value is constantly increasing. Maybe you'll eventually get some aluminum painted white.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
this is a joke, right? Apple's trying to become a greener, more sustainable company. White plastic requires the use of petroleum fuels (oil... the stuff gas is made from) to make and has little recycling value. Aluminum is stronger, sexier and its value is constantly increasing. Maybe you'll eventually get some aluminum painted white.

Check out what this guy said below: :D

Jobs' plan was to slowly get away from using plastic in Apple products. Plastic is much harder to recycle than Aluminum. This is the biggest reason behind the plethora of Alu products out nowadays. I don't think we will be seeing a surge of white Apple-esque products coming back anytime soon... :)

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I still have the white Core 2 Duo iMac from Sep. 2006, which I think looks a whole lot nicer then the current aluminum one.

Personally, I think the white iMac is the worst iMac design. The current design is delicious.

MeSince83

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
I'm kinda opposite the OP. I wish that I could get the MBP in Black, or even if I wanted to customize it I would have the option.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I'm glad Apple is moving away from white plastic products, at least with their computers anyway. I never liked the look of the white iMac. I think Aluminum products look sharper. Heck, look at new Kitchens these days. Stainless steel appliances are very popular and that probably influenced Apple's decision to go aluminum, along with the whole environment and plastic thing. Silver is a popular color right now.

I kinda wish they made the keys on the Al keyboard black, like the blackbook. The white keys get dirty so fast. As far as the Apple mouse being white, well I ditched that thing after about 5 minutes of use anyway and went with a Logitech mouse (which happens to be silver and black and IMO matches the Al. iMac better).

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'm glad Apple is moving away from white plastic products, at least with their computers anyway. I never liked the look of the white iMac. I think Aluminum products look sharper. Heck, look at new Kitchens these days. Stainless steel appliances are very popular and that probably influenced Apple's decision to go aluminum, along with the whole environment and plastic thing. Silver is a popular color right now.

I kinda wish they made the keys on the Al keyboard black, like the blackbook. The white keys get dirty so fast. As far as the Apple mouse being white, well I ditched that thing after about 5 minutes of use anyway and went with a Logitech mouse (which happens to be silver and black and IMO matches the Al. iMac better).

I thought about doing this because I have a silver/black Logitech wireless USB mouse but the USB ports are so scarce on the iMac. I really don't like the Mighty Mouse (looks, feel, AND name are all kinda..... ghey?) and I figure this would look better.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada

Silver is boring You never see white anymore it's different and Black is a much dirtier colour than white.

katejones

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
Australia
Every thing is silver cars are silver mp3 players are silver. Any one who has silver always looks cheap because the colors always cost more.

Silver was popular in the 80's, then everything became black.

I used to love that white ibook on buffy, and i'd almost buy a white macbook for that reason, but I can understanding there stance on plastic, I think this is the last incarnation of the white apple notebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.