BRING IT ON! Bootable SSD Setup.....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rantingrich, Oct 8, 2014.

1. rantingrich macrumors regular

Some of you have read my rants over my SONNET Tempo SDD PCI card matted with OWCs Mercury Extreme 240 Gb 6G SSD card and my issues with both.

OKAY. I think I am ready to go about this from another angle, if I have any money next month…

I am willing to do what I need to do to have the fastest SSD drive set up no matter what is takes….. Within Financial reason.

Please give me what I need or should do to make this happen…..PCI cards?, dual SSD raids? Any brand, make, model or color? No Loyalty to anyone now after all this.

Heres my machine specs as of now…

MACPRO 5,1. 12 -2.4 core, 64 gigs ram, one OWC 6G 240 SSD on a sonnet TEMPO SSD (NOT PRO), a OEM 1 TB, 7200 Mac Hard Drive, Stock Video card Running OS 10.9.4

I want speed and reliability above all else. It MUST BE BOOTABLE.

BRING IT ON..

2. rantingrich thread starter macrumors regular

What about this

OWC Mercury Accelsior_E2 PCI Express SSD

Attached Files:

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Haven't you had your fill of OWC and their piss poor products and service?

This thread may be of interest to you:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1459847&highlight=owc+warranty

My Experience with them:

Lou

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I have two Accelsiors and love them both.

Ok, cool, but the Jetdrive is slower than the Accelsior. That might matter to some people and should be noted. (Especially since you're talking about price and value. Performance plays into that equation.)

As for me, my Accelsior has been mostly great and when one of them started giving me weird behavior one time OWC took it back and sent me a new one free of charge. And they did that even though it wasn't "broken" in a traditional sense.

There's really not anything else I could ask a company to do beyond that. Sounds like your experience was far different, though.

5. crjackson2134, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

You can find the answer in this thread;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1685821&highlight=ngff

It's not particularly expensive, but you'll have no warranties at this time. Just read all through the thread. You're looking for a PCIe card that lets you install nMP 4x blade SSD into your cMP. I intend to do this myself down the road, but I'm in no hury. Currently this is the fastest possible SSD upgrade that I'm aware of, and it's an Apple SSD at that. Even though you don't believe in using Trim, OSX will automatically activate it upon installing the Apple SSD.