Bring to the Apple Store or not?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ryannazaretian, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

So I have a 1st Gen 8GB iPod Touch that I got free with my MacBook Pro purchase last summer that is giving me a little trouble. I wanted to get it fixed/replaced if there was really a problem with it before the warranty expired.

Here are the problems I'm having:
    • The touch screen seems unresponsive at times.
    • The automatic brightness does not work at all. Really annoying when driving from home to college and vise versa because I leave pretty late most times.
    • Apps frequently crash. Even the Apple designed Apps like the App store
    • WiFi problems. It says it's connected, but the internet doesn't work

I did a complete factory reset on it about two weeks ago that temporarily fixed some of the problems, only for them to come right back within a day.

Should I return it to the store and get a new one, or is this all pretty common? Also, what are they replacing iPod touches with now? The iPod touch 2G, or just the 1G? I kind of like the 2G because it has a volume control button because I have a lot of trouble using the one on my 1G iPod. I also like that it has a speaker built in.

The screen unresponsiveness really crops up when using any type of sliding, whether it's the volume or brightness. I have literally fought with changing the screen brightness for over a minute. Moving left and right would instead go to different menus and scroll up and down.

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I would bring it in and buy apple care on ebay for $30

3. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I brought it to the Apple Store yesterday along with my MacBook Pro.

Sadly... I could not get 1 problem to crop up while showing the Genius my iPod. My laptop was a sadder story.

Bootcamp troubles... I did get the trackpad update to break the audio in XP, but the Genius reinstalled the Bootcamp drivers and said fixed. I couldn't get it to freeze up on me like it always does, and like it did 5 minutes after getting back from the Apple store. Stupid Mac stuff working perfectly at the Apple store... :rolleyes:

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

You didn't know they all have GPSs? Well when they're near a location that is a known Genius bar, they just don't freeze. The computer goes into some sort of superdrive to ensure it doesn't break until AFTER you leave. :p