Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
it'll never happen but its such a sexy color, especially on the MacBook.
I would like for the space gray to come back as well.
Really?

We just get black back after it disappeared for three models and you guys want Space Gray back instead?

A color that Apple only introduced because it didn't want to fix the anodization process it was using with the iPhone 5?

A color that Apple ditched in favor of black to juice sales of the iPhone 7/7+ because the design didn't really change from the 6/6+/6s/6s+?

Nah, if Space Gray is dead no one needs to resurrect it.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I use to be a spacegrey guy. Then I discovered I like white and silver.

I'm the same. My wife uses a rose gold 6s+ and I started to develop envy for the white face. I picked up and SE in silver and loved it but was having trouble adjusting to the size so I settled on a white/silver 7. Coming from a jet black 7+ I couldn't be happier with my choice.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Space Gray > Matte Black.

I love Matte Black, but Space Gray is so subtle and gorgeous looking. It's like a very nice gradient. It's very industrial looking whereas the black is a lot more prone to showing scratches, scuffs, etc.

Reactions: Bethanie21

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Some space grey colours are quite nice

The problem was apple had a different space grey for every product that it released with that colour

Literally 50 shades of space grey

I don't see why apple couldn't add space grey to the line up - they have three/four (if you count product red as a mainstay) white faced phones, only two black faced phones. Adding space grey back would appease the people who liked that colour combo (and a lot of folks did) plus it would give a third black faced option

Reactions: MrJM

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I love Matte Black, but Space Gray is so subtle and gorgeous looking. It's like a very nice gradient. It's very industrial looking whereas the black is a lot more prone to showing scratches, scuffs, etc.
Hence, one of the reasons Apple chose the color instead of fixing their anodization process. Space Gray hides nicks and scratches better because the underlying aluminum is the same color.

If the anodization process was fixed, the underlying color when scratched or nicked would be the same color as the rest of the device.

Reactions: Sunny1990

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I don't know, even though I use a Space Gray 6 I probably won't miss the option when I get a new phone. Hopefully the iPhone 8 will be black with stainless steel edges. :)

iphone-8-concept2.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I use to be a spacegrey guy. Then I discovered I like white and silver.

Agreed. I opted for Gold this year. And I found out I really like the white contrast more than I thought I would. I am leaning towards Matte Black as my next color.

Reactions: iSheep5S

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
YES! Completely agree, space grey is so sexy and sleek. I cannot stand the new matte black and shiny black finishes, they're boring and too dark! I'm going to be getting the iPhone 7s/8 (whatever Apple's calling it) and I simply cannot have a white front iPhone, I just can't do it. However, I seriously hate the black colours. Suppose I'm just gunna have to lump it, even if it is vile. :(

Reactions: Böhme417

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I cannot stand the new matte black and shiny black finishes, they're boring and too dark!…However, I seriously hate the black colours. Suppose I'm just gunna have to lump it, even if it is vile.
Huh?

Black is too dark? It's BLACK!!!
Black colours?

Please tell me that you are not one of those people who thinks gray is black!

And you do realize that black is the ABSENCE of colour right?

How do you have 'black colours'? Black is…black. Gray is a SHADE of black, but is not black itself and hence is not a 'colour' of black.

SMH!

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
Huh?

Black colours?

How do you have 'black colours'? Black is…black. Gray is a SHADE of black, but is not black itself and hence is not a 'colour' of black.

SMH!

When I said 'the black colours' I was referring to the two iPhone 7/7 Plus black options Apple sells. Don't patronise me and talk to me as if I'm stupid.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Huh?

Black colours?

SMH!

Easy now, he thinks black is too dark and he is entitled to his own opinion. Just like you think the iPhone 5 in Slate is the sex and the worlds greatest phone...

Reactions: Bethanie21

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When I said 'the black colours' I was referring to the two iPhone 7/7 Plus black options Apple sells. Don't patronise me and talk to me as if I'm stupid.
OK, the two black options then.

And I was not patronizing you. I was asking questions. Believe it or not, there are people on these forums who think gray is actually black. It's an argument I've engaged in many times.

Since you understand the difference I won't ask any more questions about it.
[doublepost=1493484833][/doublepost]
Easy now, he thinks black is too dark and he is entitled to his own opinion. Just like you think the iPhone 5 in Slate is the sex and the worlds greatest phone...
How can black be too dark?

Black is black. 100% black. Any deviation from that is gray - not black.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
The more options the better, though the 6 series "space gray" was the most dull color Apple ever decided on IMO. Looked like my iPhone went through a grayscale filter. And it was too close to silver. Plus I had some VERY bad watermarking on the back for some reason...

Guess I just really wasn't a fan of Space Gray lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.