Bringing 2 laptops with me for over seas flight? (carry-on)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deuk1219, May 24, 2011.

1. deuk1219 macrumors regular

Hello there, I need some help.
    I am visiting my family back in Korea over the Summer.
    I will be brining my personal Macbook Air with me, and I'm planning to bring a brand new Macbook Pro 17" with me for my mother who is a movie director in Korea. I have a 15" laptop bag which I use for my 13" Macbook Air to bring it with me, but what can I do to avoid taxes? Should I unbox the 17" and set it up, and bring it on a seperate laptop bag? or should I just keep it as new inside the box and put it in my carry-on bag?

What is the best way to:
    Bring both of my 13" Macbook Air AND the brand new 17" MBP?
    Carry-on preferred.
    Thanks!

EDIT: By the way, buying a Macbook Pro in Korea is not an option, because there the 17" starts at $3200. And we don't like buying Apple computers at resellers.

2. simsaladimbamba

Put both in the bag, set the 17" MBP up and just put the power adapters and DVDs inside the bag with clothes. Leave the shiny box at home, that way you shouldn't have problems.

3. deuk1219 thread starter macrumors regular

sorry, I didnt clearly understand your reply.
    are you saying that I should put both MBA and MBP in a seperate laptop bag?
    Won't the security people be suspicious when one person pulls out two apple laptops? And I would have to buy a new laptop bag that fits both 17" and the 13" mba?

4. KwanMan macrumors regular

just take the MBP out of the box, no need to set it up. a netbook + laptop is perfectly acceptable for one persons use.

5. deuk1219 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think they would consider a 13" a.. netbook.

6. Hansr macrumors 6502a

No one cares. A whole slew of people travel each day on business with multiple laptops.

7. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

No. It's not that unusual, at least not in the US.

8. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Last international trip I took, I had 17" MBP and my MBA along with 2 iPhones. No one complained. iPhones were completely sealed. I had one laptop bag that had MBA and an over the shoulder bag that had my 17" MBP.

I suggest that you unbox the 17" and put it in a laptop bag as a carry on. Dont ever check-in something that expensive, you may never see it again. If you want to take the box with you, put the empty box in check in luggage.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Put the empty box in the garbage. I know someone who mailed the empty box home and took the MBP in a laptop bag. When the empty box arrived in the country the customs people were suspicious and turned up at his home.

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I travel internationally and always have 2 laptops in one bag. I've never had a problem in over 60 flights between the USA, Germany, UK, Brazil, Spain, France and Italy. Rarely do they do more than just glance in the bag.

That said it's important to note I carry all cords & cables separately in checked bags. Therefore my carry on, contains only the two fully charged laptops.